Pregnancy and Birth

Topic has 21 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

I'll get the ball rolling then!

I have had one baby here two years ago; my experience was not great even though I stayed in a private clinic. Could not believe the mothers being allowed to smoke in the rooms! Checked out after 2 days despite the protests of the staff. Anyone had a baby here using the local general hospital? I'd be very interested to hear your experience!
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: I'll get the ball rolling then!

Does my experience count as I am French?

I had my baby in a clinic and the staff was really informative and helpful, and no one could have smoked in the rooms!Woot! [:-))]

The birth was very complicated, I lost a lot of blood, I had a caesarian and had to be transfused ( is that the right word??)

I stayed in the maternity ward for 12 days...........

But I was never scared( could have been, I had a " toxémie gravidique" ) , but they were all so supportive and reassuring.

Here in Niort the local hospital is fine, no problem with the " maternité" , many of my friend were happy having their babies there.

I chose a clinic because I was pregnant with twins and I wanted the epidural, which was said to be rare in hospital ( Now it s just the same here, you can have it anywhere)

Too bad I'm 42, Id go for a little girl if I were younger........... Already got the name   LOL  but it will remain a fantasy !

Life has a habit of biting you on the bum in ways that you least expect.............

Report   Reply Quote

Go for it Frenchie !!! My eldest daught had her fourth baby last year at the age of  41  and he is absolutely gorgeous and she said although she has has very little sleep for  the last 9 months he is worth it.Her eldest daughter is 21 and she married when the baby was  7 months old so my daughter had a baby and her eldest marry all in the same year  How wonderful is that !!!!!.
   Report   Reply Quote

My gran had her first baby at 40 and her second at 43 - and that was in the late 30's / early 40's - after she had a long successful career!!

PS - Her hubby was also ten years her junior - I reckon he must have been one of the first 'toy boys' Wink [;-)] - I had  lot of time for my gran....a lady ahead of her time Big Smile [:D]

PPS She outlived her 'toy boy' by 20 years....living to the grand old age of 93.

Report   Reply Quote

My o/h's mother had twins at 43 without any problems (except that she didn't know there were two of them until the first one had popped out!)  They are both sickeningly brainy too....
"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy b*ggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
   Report   Reply Quote

Does anyone remember Debra , the poster who bought some fishing lakes?  She already had 2 children who had been born in the UK and had a baby in France.....from what I recall, she was not impressed with the way her baby was birthed.
WWW.Debeneur.com
   Report   Reply Quote

I had my last one aged rather more than 42.  Better than botox for making people think that you are young!

Nous ne pouvons pas tous faire de grandes choses, mais nous pouvons faire des petites choses avec beaucoup d’amour.
   Report   Reply Quote

Frenchie you should have a try for at least one more...42 is not 'old' in any respect. Where I had my last baby I was told in the clinic here - at the last minute! - that epidural was the one and only form of pain relief available...they had no idea about gas and air or TENS; your other choice was to scream...which I did as junior was making his exit in the car park...and I was too far gone for the spinal option.

I saw the Mums leaning out their room windows, some attached to IV lines, puffing away on fags like mad throughout the day. And the meals were only fit for people like Posh Spice...tiny portions, I mean REALLY tiny, and not even a drink of water with a meal. Breakfast was just a dry breadroll with a pre-packed jam portion which to me is starvation rations - that was at 7.30am and lunch (if you could call it that) did not appear until 1pm. Not exactly a nutritional diet for a new mother intending to breastfeed and needing those extra calories. Boy was I glad to get home!

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine