Latest Good Value Deals to/from France

Topic has 16 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:
Smile [:)]

Motorway travel cards

Help! Does anyone know how to access motorway travel cards for the tolls? I have been told that you can buy a card which enables you to save roughly 20% on toll fees on the motorways. I have a holiday house in France and travel there about 6 times per year so could be a significant saving for me. I have trawled the net but although there are some sites the ones in English are not very helpful and my limited French does not allow me tounderstand the French ones. The house is in Fresselines in the Limousin so we use motorways for most of journeys. Any advice would be appreciated. thanks.
Marilyn Stubbings
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: Motorway travel cards

Never heard of such things but I'm sure if they exist plenty will be interested, me included Cool [8-|]

Report   Reply Quote

marilyn wrote:
I have been told that you can buy a card which enables you to save roughly 20% on toll fees on the motorways.

Misinformed, I'm afraid.

You can indeed buy a Telepeage card, but (unless there's some special deal going on at the moment), it's at the going rate and simply enables you to pass through the dedicated lanes and your windscreen device 'pings'.  Subsequent d/d bill.

You pay €20 - €30 p.a. for the priviledge: well worth it, whether you live here year-round, or are just holidaying in the Summer when the peages are chockahh.

Someone else will have the link to enable purchase. 

Report   Reply Quote

Seems that there are at least a couple of discount schemes, one is aimed at commercial traffic and another applies to vehicles adapted for transport of the disabled but as far as the public at large are concerned then no, nothing.

Report   Reply Quote

Gardian wrote:
You can indeed buy a Telepeage card, but (unless there's some special deal going on at the moment), it's at the going rate and simply enables you to pass through the dedicated lanes and your windscreen device 'pings'.  Subsequent d/d bill.

You pay €20 - €30 p.a. for the priviledge: well worth it, whether you live here year-round, or are just holidaying in the Summer when the peages are chockahh.

Or if you sign up for the ALIS telepeage badge, you do not pay any annual charge or setup fee, as has been frequently mentioned on this forum (let's put it this way, we got ours after reading about it here)
http://www.offres-alis.com/fr/confort.php

This one does give you a discount, but ONLY on a section of the Alençon-Rouen autoroute. The badge works on all French autoroutes.

The badge is known on this forum and elsewhere as a "doofer". If you do a search on "doofer", you'll find the previous discussions.

Regards

Pickles

Regards
Pickles

I get 25% discount with my AREA telepeage badge, but only on AREA's autoroutes, the rest of France is full price.

Report   Reply Quote

As Pickles has said, the discount with the ALIS card applies only to a nominated section of the A28 but the free device works just the same on other autoroutes.

I never use the A28 but still have the ALIS deal as the absence of upfront and monthly charges more than outweighs the benefit I would get from discounts offered by operators of the roads I use. And so far, the ALIS package has worked very smoothly. Can't fault it.

Report   Reply Quote

A colleague came back from France with a doofer. Apparently, Lyon is a notorious toll point and you can wait in excess of an hour to get through. She drove past a huge queue, straight up to the Telepeage lane and straight through.

Yes, go for the Alis doofer - no additional cost which all the others seem to have. Also they do not require a deposit which others do.

With one, no waking up the passenger (if in a RHD car), taking the ticket and then at the end of the section, waking up the passenger,finding the money, queueing and then finally paying.

With Alis you do require a French bank account and payments are by direct debit the month following travel. You can email or fax the forms and you will receive a doofer in less than a week.

But hey, we should not be advertising this. If everyone gets one there will be queues for the Telepeage lane and none at the pay booths Big Smile [:D]

Paul

BREXIT - wonder what the future holds
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine