Earning a Living

Topic has 21 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

god idea or just another rose tinted ideal??

ok here is my situation......my parents (very active 60 year olds..and in the british farming world most of their life)myself (37...brought up on farms and one of kents top chefs and a single dad of 2) and my 2 boys (10 and 14)
my parents want to buy a farm with about 15-25 acres in the limousin region,the plan is to keep live stock,cows,pigs chickens and alpaccas,and grow our own fuit and vegetables to sell at market and at our own farm shop,also to make our own chutneys,pickles,sausages,etc,..maybe our own cheeses and do our own smoked products..again to sell at market and our own farm shop....
the question is...and after alot of research on our part i know this isnt a simple yes or no..but i would like ideas on wheather this idea is workable or weather its another rose tinited ideal??
there will be no mortgage over there and we are keeping and renting our property in kent??
thats the vague situation....any ideas?
thanks in advance

Report   Reply Quote

Re: god idea or just another rose tinted ideal??

sounds ok,,,,,just make sure you have enough money for 2 to 3 years ( not counting what you may earn here), and also a way back if things dont turn out as you would like

best of luck

Life is what "you" make it, don't let "it" make you!
   Report   Reply Quote

well were keeping our property in the uk to rent out so we have that to fall back on should it go badly wrong and i believe we have the funds to surbvive a couple of years

Report   Reply Quote

When looking for your farm I would suggest you choose an area of the Limousin that gets plenty of visitors as they will boost your shop revenue, and certainly in the begining you are more likely to get tourists coming to buy than local French as they are still not that used to farm shops here. Nor do they eat many chutneys and pickles as far as I'm aware, but the Brits do of course! I have PM'd you the name of a very good French (English speaking) immobilier you may like to contact. Good luck.
   Report   Reply Quote

Wishing you all the best, but we've been running a very successful B&B in the Charente for three years. Corporate contract and the income is good, but we give it all away in tax. I never thought I would be saying this but we are considering returning to the UK to go into ...... farming. The culture here cripples enterprise, but I hope you succeed.
   Report   Reply Quote

I think that all I can say is, what about your kids education.

I realise that some kids who move to France 'late', do succeed in it, however, as far as I am concenred, they are a bad age to have to learn good french, and it needs to be good, good enough to pass exams in France.

If you are wondering, my kids were born in France and went right through the system.
   Report   Reply Quote

Just been to Champagnac la Riviere today - an annual successful farmers/general market and lunch, (but freezing today!). A whole variety of local producers were there from butchers - even a black pudding maker producing on site, to veg producers, bread and cake manufacturers, hot chestnuts, juice producers etc. They works from village fete to fete, depending on the theme, but they come from everywhere, as do the customers. There are no 'Farmers Markets' as such, but you can easily sell at weekly markets as well - the biggest in the area is perhaps in the village of Piegut Pluviers.
Now we're retired, how the heck did we have time to hold down jobs as well?
   Report   Reply Quote

Had you thought of opening a "ferme-auberge" (restaurant attached to a farm, and serving much of its produce), with your culinary skills? I have no idea if they make money, but I have eaten at a few long-established ones in the Vendee.

Idun's warning is worth heeding though about the ages of your children. I know some people who moved over from the UK, and although their girls seemed to do brilliantly at picking up French, it was just too hard once they got to lycee, and they returned to the UK for school.

Angela
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine