Earning a Living

Topic has 25 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Finding work on France

Morning all,

I'm a journalist with Living France magazine and am in the process of writing a feature on finding a job in France. I'm looking for some personal experiences to include in the article. Any input would be greatly apprecited. Did you find it difficult? Did you use the ANPE? What tips and advice would you give to people trying to find work?

Many thanks,

Anna

Assistant Editor

Living France

Report   Reply Quote

Re: Finding work on France

The ANPE has been replaced by the Pôle Emploi.
In my experience it exists for the benefit of its own employees, who keep their jobs by putting you though box ticking exercises.
Very rarely are there any adverts that are for vacant posts, given the networking that goes on in France for even such simple jobs as working in a supermarket.
This is not everyone's experience. On another thread someone in Burgundy found them helpful.

I got a number of jobs by:
Keeping my options open and not being fixed on one direction.
Being ready to take a few hours work in many different places, and seeing which ones developed.
Not expecting my English qualifications and experience to count for anything.
Having a good grasp of French. I have worked in both languages in France, but always had to write such things as reports, fill in time sheets etc in French
'Putting myself about ' that is to say being seen as someone ready to work and talking with people in cafés, associations, shops etc.
Being prepared to work self-employed and mix this with paid work, even though this drives the authorities mad.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Thank you for letting me know Norman. Did you use the pôle emploi and if so was it helpful?
   Report   Reply Quote

Please see my expanded reply above

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Anna, as you have might read from my other thread, according to Eurostat there are only some 38,000 British citizens working in France, which is a surprisingly low percentage of the overall number of Brits believed to be living in France. The majority clearly being retirees.
Main reason is undoubtedly the language barrier and perhaps a more nationalistic attitude to recruiting employees in France.
   Report   Reply Quote

Which I would back up by saying that in my area and with my qualifications and experience I work in Germany and commute at weekends.
Andy

A European Rahinja.
   Report   Reply Quote

I was sent here by my employer.

My wife (French) is stopped from working here as a langauge teacher, though she is qualified (in France......and UK, Spain and Germany)

Report   Reply Quote

Link below to interesting article about record number of Brits seeking work abroad. However, France is not one of the favoured destinations, which is headed by Australia, Dubai and Canada.

http://www.international-adviser.com/article/number-of-brits-seeking-work-abroad-hit-2-million-in-q3

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine