French Language

Topic has 36 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Another French test

I found this on another forum, its quite challenging as a test to establish your level but it certainly gets the grey matter ticking away and makes you think long and hard about some of the answers, I learnt a lot from it and when I have suitably recovered will try the other ones.

http://www.tolearnfrench.com/

Be very carefull to use the correct accents even when it does not relate to the verb being conjugated, also on some of the questions if you type the person (tu, vous, ils etc) before the conjugated verb it will mark it as incorrect even though you have correctly answered the question.

That is my excuse anyway for only getting 62 out of 100, it would have been 80 (honestly!) if I had been ar5ed to type in all the accents, it does however have a toolbar with all the accents on beside each question.

Give it a go I think you will enjoy it Big Smile [:D]

Report   Reply Quote

Re: Another French test

I'm puzzled by the marking system. I came out with 87.5.....Confused [8-)]

Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

Good but I seem to have missed some questions somehow, probably due to the time!
   Report   Reply Quote

Blimey, that took a long time!
Well, I got 93, but only thanks to Chancer saying how important it was to go for the accents etc!

Fell down on "grand-mere" (I put "grand'mere); was careless with accuracy when putting sentences into passive mode;
and then did not recognise the names for some of those verb tenses towards the end, which I am sure didn't exist in my distant school days!

Have they got "tordu" wrong? They say specifically that the subject of the little story is a woman, so when she says "je me suis tordue la cheville" or whatever, would it not have an E on the end? It was marked wrong. :-(

Angela
   Report   Reply Quote

Loiseau wrote:
Have they got "tordu" wrong? They say specifically that the subject of the little story is a woman, so when she says "je me suis tordue la cheville" or whatever, would it not have an E on the end?

No, it's confusing, but they're right, unfortunately.  There are two rules that seem to be in conflict:

Simple case nº 1: she washed the window = elle a lavé la fenêtre

Simple case nº 2: she washed herself = elle s'est lavée
(because the verb is used reflexively, i.e. the object is the same person as the subject)

But "she washed her hands" = elle s'est lavé les mains.  

It looks like a reflexive (because of the "se") so you use "être".   But the logic seems to be that the object of the washing (what got washed) was not the subject ("she") but the hands, so it isn't really reflexive.  So lavé doesn't change.  So: elle s'est tordu la cheville.

I don't know whether that's a very good explanation, but anyway, that's what they do. 

Report   Reply Quote

Interesting the mistakes/difficulties we seemed to have.

Grand Mère was one I got wrong because I didnt use the accent, although it was in the question! - My eyesight is poor.

The plus que parfait question I could not answer without a sneak at Bescherelle to confirm what the tense was, I still had no chance of conjugating it though!

The subject/object ones really got me thinking but i did pretty well.

The set of questions where you were warned that the person was feminine tripped me up, I realised that I only needed to consider this when she was the subject and then added an e to each verb ending in é, now normally I would not evenhave thought to do this, just as well as I was wrong in most cases. That was the only section where I could not with a lot of effort remember the rule/s that I had learned, perhaps I didnt cover it or had problems understanding.

I also masculised two nouns that I knew were feminin, oreille and armoire, by that time I was trying to be too clever, I knew that they would use the possessive pronoun mon, ton reasoning that they commenced with a vowel although I was never taught this so I assumed thats why, so I thought "ah they are trying to trip me up here, it must be un armoire and un oreille"

Congratulations to you on your good results and especially remembering lessons learned at school, I had to start from complete scratch in my 40's having got unclassified at O level (for turning up and signing my name on the paper) in the days when pupils were allowed to fail.

Report   Reply Quote
Blush [:$]

That was brilliant! It certainly did get the grey matter going.

The bit that I had to think the hardest about was where conjugated verbs are also nouns.

I also got the question about the male chicken wrong!!!!! Considering that we have one in the garden I should just go and shoot myself now!!!!!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Thanks, allanb, for that explanation. It sort of makes sense. I suppose a verb like "se lever" or "se coucher" would have agreement then, perhaps.

Chancer, I nearly tripped on armoire and oreille too, as I also thought the questions might be being too clever for words. I had to sit muttering out loud, trying out the different possibilities, before - luckily - plumping for the right ones!
It must have been tough trying to get on top of it all in your 40s. We were so drilled in French grammar from the age of 7 (this was in England), that it made doing the test quite fun - just like stepping back to the weekly tests we used to have! Mind you, I never actually had to string a sentence of French together to deliver to a French person until I was 16, the first time I set foot in France. Today, it seems to be all speaking and no irregular verbs (thinking of my daughter's enthusiastic but ungrammatical French conversation), but that has its good side too..

Angela
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine