Earning a Living

Topic has 38 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

eggs in one basket

Just thought i would share some of my frustration with google. We use google as a as one of our main marketing tool for our business. Statistically probably 60% of our bookings are driven via pay per click. The rest are driven organically or via other sites.
Recently fell fowl of google addwords, they have disabled our add campaigns for more than a month now. Reason we have 6 or 7 other web sites that are designed as a " Landing page " For example you search for a particular word related to our business, you click on the word we pay for that click. You then land on one of our pages. Its a simple one page website for more information please leave your email.... Simple data collection then you can market to that person. You don't leave your email if you don't want to !
Well Mr Google does not like that, in fact it violates their policy. It does not matter that we spend 25k on pay per click !
Luckily we have a strong google organic presence. I said to google ok ill remove the pages you don't like from addwords, NO good they said I have to rebuild the sites and they must have sufficient content. Google are truly a monopoly. You can't call them you can only email which takes weeks for a response.
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: eggs in one basket

Careful.

I am glad I have learned very early on to think and prepare for the unthinkable when advertising.  Only thing I don't like is we can't get our own 0800 number so we have to rent one, if the company disappears for any reason so does our main point of contact.

Report   Reply Quote

Google is doing the right thing.

People search Google to find information, not to have their email address harvested by a marketer. Yes, they can choose not to leave their email address, but they clicked your ad to find information - which isn't on the page they clicked through to and which you led them to believe would.

Your one page site is doing a disservice to the searcher and making Google look bad. The only way to do business on the net and with Google, is to be aboveboard and use no clever tricks.

You can get advice at http://www.webmasterfrance.com if you get stuck.

Report   Reply Quote

angloshopper wrote:
Google is doing the right thing. People search Google to find information, not to have their email address harvested by a marketer. Yes, they can choose not to leave their email address, but they clicked your ad to find information - which isn't on the page they clicked through to and which you led them to believe would. Your one page site is doing a disservice to the searcher and making Google look bad. The only way to do business on the net and with Google, is to be aboveboard and use no clever tricks. You can get advice at http://www.webmasterfrance.com if you get stuck.
People search google for all kinds of reasons, We are not a "marketer" people leave their info on our site as they want us to contact them. We are the ones that PAY google when you click, not the person searching. I take it you don't run a business that is search engine dependent? We do not sell or give away the email information that has been left. Google unfortunately has a large strangle hold on the search engine market. landing pages / Squeeze pages as much as you or google may not like them make good business sense. I spent an our on the phone the other day with some one from google USA discussing a blog we run. Not a landing page but a blog lots of information and of course some links back to our main site. Their web guy said, oh you have too many links back to your main web site, oh ok I said where can I read googles policy relating to that. Oh well there is not one !
   Report   Reply Quote

angloshopper wrote:
Google is doing the right thing. People search Google to find information, not to have their email address harvested by a marketer. Yes, they can choose not to leave their email address, but they clicked your ad to find information - which isn't on the page they clicked through to and which you led them to believe would. Your one page site is doing a disservice to the searcher and making Google look bad. The only way to do business on the net and with Google, is to be aboveboard and use no clever tricks. You can get advice at http://www.webmasterfrance.com if you get stuck.

Going slightly off topic but along the same lines, I am not nor ever been on facebook, however I have been asked by someone to be one of their contacts/friends etc. Then the post from facebook continues giving out a list of names who are on facebook and in my contacts list.......Harvesting by a marketer???Angry [:@]

Passivpool Energy "A++" rated Swimming Pools, the lowest running costs in the Universe.
   Report   Reply Quote

Aren't these 'landing pages' often used in spamming ?
Quimper.co

Report   Reply Quote

We also seem to be asked to be friends on facebook, none of which offers we've ever taken up. Each has been someone we know, but we don't want to join in. Some of these have arrived more than once over a period of time.

I know a lot of people use facebook, for many different reasons. Our own youngsters use it a lot and find it useful and great fun, but I just don't want to know. I don't know if they are used for spamming Russethouse, I just don't want to be part of it or to risk it!

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

I have received invitations to be someone's friend on Facebook - a site I have never even visited.
On mentioning the invitations directly with the people concerned, I find they were totally unaware that these emails had been sent out purporting to be from them. (One person who was "inviting" me had actually been dead for two years before I was contacted - so I didn't bother to follow him up! I continue to receive an invitation from him about once a year.)

Angela
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine