French Language

Topic has 15 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Coucou

My French friend has recently begun to use the term "coucou" in her emails. It seems to be a form of Hello - Hi  perhaps? Anyone know anything about its origins or use?

Report   Reply Quote

Re: Coucou

To faire un petit coucou is to say hello.  Odile, who is alas no longer with us, used to say that when she came on the Forum (especially on Frenchie's "French" thread).

I think it's a bit better than when we say "Coooeeee!" in English.  That always sounds a bit irritating to my ear.  And my natural response (which I suppress, of course!) is What do you want now?

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

hi ok

http://french.about.com/od/vocabulary/g/coucou.htm

Dave

Report   Reply Quote

I always say it to very young kids if they come up to me.

Report   Reply Quote

Thanks for your responses. I'll try it out in writing before I say it to anyone, somehow I feel a bit hesitant about using it. Don't know why.

Report   Reply Quote

Maybe I'm imagining everybody responding to my "coucou" the way you do to Coo-ee, Sweet17. Nice you are able to control your reaction though.

Report   Reply Quote

We all coucou our female friends here...verbally and in emails....seems normal to me.

Report   Reply Quote

I use it all the time
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine