French Language

Topic has 17 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Vous savez bien?

Vous savez bien? = you know well ? or I guess just.... you know ? But can it also be used to say ..... you know why ?

Im translating and I'm sure he is saying... you know why? But I have never seen it written like this ....

Also...  Il ne sert pas...  Does this mean he is not sure ? I cant find a verb to match and its not in my big Book , which verb does this come from? 

Many thanks ....

Dirty Tom =^..^=
Where ever I lay my paw thats my home

I support SPA Carcassonne ...go get a dog today
http://spacarcassonne.e-monsite.com/
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: Vous savez bien?

Think of it as "Well you know"

"Et vous le savez bien"

And well you know it!

"Vous savez" is normally used for you know, with an interrogative tone if necessary, I often hear "Quoi" used in everyday speech for a normally superflous "nowottimeen," or "innit," Big Smile [:D]

editted:

For the second question perhaps is means he (it) is useless, the verb being servir, "ça sert pour rien" is what I usually say,

Report   Reply Quote

Thanks Chancer ...but that still dosnt fit in with whats being said as its a question.....

I will give you the back ground ....

2 people meet she tells him her name and he says says ...Je suis poil de carotte ..she dosnt understand why (as she thinks he has blonde hair) ...  she says Comment ?

He says.... Poil de carotte, vous savez bien? .... she says no.........   

so it looks like he is saying ...you know why ? or being Ironic and saying maybe ...you can see why ?? Im not sure ... your nowotimeen(as he points to his head)  fits in .....maybe ;)

re second question could it be ...it is not used ?

Dirty Tom =^..^=

Report   Reply Quote

Now heres a odd one .....

He says let me tell you a secret....... C'est M.Lepic qui a l'air sévère et c'est Mme.Lepic .....Ah !!

Now is he saying ....it is Mr Lepic who has the pretense of being servere but its Mrs Lepic who is the servere one ....

or the over way around ??  

Dirty Tom =^..^=

Report   Reply Quote

Well, in essence, yes, - the first one,  but "seems/appears to be" is a better English translation than "has the pretense of being", imho
"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy b*ggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
   Report   Reply Quote

Pads wrote:
Also...  Il ne sert pas...  Does this mean he is not sure ? I cant find a verb to match and its not in my big Book , which verb does this come from?

The verb is servir (= to use).
More context needed for more details.

In this context, vous le savez bien? = you know, don't you?
An assumption is made of the other person's understanding/knowledge and "vous le savez bien" is used to seek confirmation.

Clair
En Deuil - 8 Nov. 16

Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.
Dalai Lama

Report   Reply Quote

Thanks Clair

When being asked what hs real name is he says  

Il ne sert pas , On l'a oublié

I think its .....Its not used , (one) I( has) have  forgotten it

Dirty Tom =^..^=

Report   Reply Quote

Clair wrote:

In this context, vous le savez bien? = you know, don't you?
An assumption is made of the other person's understanding/knowledge and "vous le savez bien" is used to seek confirmation.

We've sort of discussed this before - I do find translating literature like this is always really tough.  Clair is right (natch), but if I were translating to produce a watchable play which made sense in English, I think the line would work more naturally as something like : "And as you've probably guessed already, my name's carrot top."  But I can see that it might not convey the fact that you understood the meaning of "vous le savez bien."
"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy b*ggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine