French Language

Topic has 16 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Accents

What is it with foreign accents which appear to please some people. I almost get someone speaking english with a french accent as it can sound quite pleasant sometimes, but not always.

But an english person speaking french with an english accent, well, I do not understand how it can sound in any way nice. And yet I have had said to me that my accent is mignon  or  joli, even adorable and it isn't.  I have heard such comments made to others too. What am I missing?

What does please me is when people can communicate, but accents, can't say they 'do' anything for me at all.  

Report   Reply Quote

Re: Accents

Well I cannot avoid speaking French with an English accent and I also have been told that my accent is adorable.  Cannot think why.
Andy

A European Rahinja.
   Report   Reply Quote

Maybe it is just 'you' that is adorable?

I have started to wonder if people 'like' me rather than my accent. I could understand that more than the accent bit being 'nice'.

Report   Reply Quote

Our French teacher always complimented my OH on his "accent", saying that he didn't have any.  What she meant was that he, being Welsh, did not have an English accent when speaking French.

By "accent", I knew she always meant an English one.  She said it was too "choppy" and I could understand that...without enough "flow" and liaisons that are not smooth.

She said my accent was excellent except that I didn't use the back of my mouth and tongue for words like croissant.  She used to get a French friend to come and read to the class and this lady could really make prose sound like poetry and OH said he'd happily listen to her reading the telephone directory.

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

My OH hasn't got an english accent when he speaks french. They ask where he is from, with me, it is a statement that I am anglaise.

French is certainly spoken from the front of the mouth, and I do, only it still sounds like I am english. I'll never rid myself of it. These days I put TV5 on and repeat what I hear on the tv to try and improve, probably a futile excersize, lost cause/ vache espagnole comes to mind?

Report   Reply Quote

I've had compliments (never "adorable" Blush [:$] ) and people comment about the lack of accent, but I'm a Northerner and maybe they think I haven't got the "posh" English accent?!

I've reached the conclusion that they are just being polite and in reality I'll never know how poor my accent is! Perhaps just as well!

It's difficult to say what my wife does...
She sells seashells on the seashore.
   Report   Reply Quote

We have Scottish friends who are forever being complimented on their French accent!

So, Sid, it might help; I mean your being a northerner.Big Smile [:D]

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

Aye, lass! Ay-up! Big Smile [:D]
It's difficult to say what my wife does...
She sells seashells on the seashore.
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine