French Language

Topic has 24 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:
Smile [:)]

How to translate one sentence from English to French?

Hello,

I have a single sentence text that I need to be translated from English into French. The lowest quote I received from a professional translator was $75.

That seems a bit high for one sentence... so I'm wondering if there's anyone here who could do it for less?

Basically.... it just needs to be in "proper" French. Otherwise, I would use google translate to do it.

Here is what I need:

----------------------
To whom it may concern,

This letter is to authorize my wife, [her name will be here], to travel without me with any of our children listed:

[children will listed here]

Sincerely,

[my name will be here]
----------------------

Thanks!
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: How to translate one sentence from English to French?

The sortie de terratoire from France is only necessary if the children are travelling alone. Why would you wife need your permission to travel with her children?

From http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/F1922.xhtml

Si l'enfant voyage avec l'un de ses parents  If a child is travelling with just one parent

L'enfant qui voyage avec l'un de ses parents (ou une personne titulaire de l'autorité parentale or someone with parental authority) doit posséder l'un des documents suivants :  the child must have the following documents

• soit un passeport individuel (qui peut être obtenu pour tout mineur, même un bébé)   either an individual passport

• soit une carte nationale d'identité pour les pays de l'Union européenne et la Suisse.   or a national ID card

Dans ce cas, les autorités douanières peuvent exiger un document prouvant que l'accompagnant est bien le parent (livret de famille ou acte de naissance par exemple). Customs and passport control can demand proof of the parent's relationship to the child, ie livret de famille OR birth certificate

Report   Reply Quote

There exists no need in france for such a document to be drawn up in france as either parent in exercise of the parental authority can travel outside france with a child or children.

The Civil Code in Article 372 succinctly details the conjoint rights of the parents.

http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichCodeArticle.do;jsessionid=F73455CB11EE5C431F776B44383438B7.tpdjo16v_1?idArticle=LEGIARTI000006426490&cidTexte=LEGITEXT000006070721&dateTexte=20110510

However it is worth noting that if the child or children travel without being accompanied by at least one of the parents then a specific document will be drawn up promptly at the local mairie, only one of the parents need sign the pro forma authorisation.

Report   Reply Quote

Observation until the late 80s I enjoyed sole "patria potestas" over the foreign travel of children.
   Report   Reply Quote

Custody? or just lived in some country where medieval rules about women being lower in the order of things, than donkeys?
   Report   Reply Quote

pachapapa wrote:
Observation until the late 80s I enjoyed sole "patria potestas" over the foreign travel of children.
At least there has been progress since then
"There are some causes worth dying for - there are no causes worth killing for" Albert Camus
   Report   Reply Quote

idun wrote:
Custody? or just lived in some country where medieval rules about women being lower in the order of things, than donkeys?

Yes that's right.

In Argentina, joint custody was established in 1949 by constitutional amendment this year. The repeal of these reforms by military proclamation in 1956, and ratification of its repeal by the Constitutional Convention of 1957, restored the inequality of women compared with men for several decades. In 1974 Congress re-established joint custody, but the President Maria Estela Martinez de Peron vetoed the bill. Basically, the influential conservative sectors in Argentina argued that the family unit requires that a spouse has the "last word", and that cultural and traditional reasons, it was reasonable that this power was attributed by law to men.

In 1985, during Alfonsin's government was restored joint custody by Law 23,234, a right long-demanded by women;

Note the veto exercised by a lady donkey called maria;Devil [6]

Report   Reply Quote

Ah, that explains it. How 'nice' that a woman insisted that men should have the last word.

May she rot!

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine