French Education

Topic has 62 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Education advice for our 12 year old

Hi all looking for the best way forward. Moving to france March/April next year Jess she will then just be 13 years of age. Started having private french lessons and have a house in Haute Vienne. I know children settle in well, but concerned that we are leaving a English school with GCSEs on the horizon and she will not have enough time in the french Education scheme to gain some Qualifications. Concerned she could fall between them both. Thanks a lot for your help.

Patrick
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: Education advice for our 12 year old

This is a frequently asked question here, with the age of the child varying a bit.
Have a read of some of the advice already offered...
For example:
http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/2582107/ShowPost.aspx

To get an idea of the difficulties she will face you might like to explore this site which gives holiday work to catch up.
The section I link to is History/ Geography
http://www.academie-en-ligne.fr/College/SommaireConcepts.aspx?PREFIXE=AL4GH51
but you can find  Maths /Science also...
http://www.academie-en-ligne.fr/College/SommaireConcepts.aspx?PREFIXE=AL4MA51

or English...which you might expect to be easy..
http://www.academie-en-ligne.fr/College/Ressources.aspx?PREFIXE=AL4AN51

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Hi Norman, thank you very much for the advice. I will have a look at the links.
Kind regards Patrick
   Report   Reply Quote

Patrick, your concerns are well justified. This is an area that has been much discussed on the forum in the past and the general consensus appears to be that 11 years old is the sensible age limit, giving the child a couple of years to assimilate and learn the language before entering the serious part of their secondary education.
I don't know the circumstances of your move, but the return rate of Brits moving to France is high, especially if you need to make a living there and do not have a job lined up, so you need to factor in that possibility of further disruption as well.
I think you know you are taking a risk with your daughters education, hence the your question and I would therefore think very carefully whether or not you should consider postponing your move until your daughter has finished her GCSE's. Maybe a chat to her teachers for advice would be sensible, as not all children settle in well, especially teens.
   Report   Reply Quote

Patrick wrote:
... concerned that we are leaving a English school with GCSEs on the horizon and she will not have enough time in the french Education scheme to gain some Qualifications. Concerned she could fall between them both.

Any chance of her boarding at her secondary school and joining you for the school holidays ? Where we lived in Lincolnshire many of the state schools had boarding facilities.

Sue

Computing - it's another world
   Report   Reply Quote

Hi Sprogester thank you very much for the advice, not looking to a earn a living in France just a better way of life for us and Jess. Kind regards
Patrick
   Report   Reply Quote

Hi Suein 56, thanks for the advice will think about that one. Kind regards Patrick
   Report   Reply Quote

I know children settle in well,

France just a better way of life for us and Jess

I know children settle in well? I won't tell you that they never do, but not all do.  And actually we are not even talking about a child here, but a teen. All those links that NormanH kindly gave you, well she will have to know all that more or less by the time you get there are she should be starting 4eme in Sept 2012 and those links are 5eme's work.

And it could suit your daughter very well and she'll get her brevet and BAC etc. But it is late in the program for her to be going to college and learning french to that standard and  your are right, she could well end up with no qualifications. 

Would I do this to my teen? Mine were in the system and I wished I hadn't had them in french colleges. So, not in a million years would I do what you are thinking of unless I could afford to board them at a school in the UK or send them to a very good international school in France and they are not all 'good'. We are english, both children born and educated in France.

And a better way of life for your daughter?     Lost for words really!

And health care, if you are not retired and not working, do you know the rules? I don't want to know if you can afford it, but you should be aware.

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine