French Language

Topic has 11 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

A higher levef of French needed to take Nationality

From 2012 people wishing to take French (and presumably dual) Nationality will have to show a higher level of French:
"À compter du 1er janvier 2012, les étrangers auront l'obligation d'accéder à un certain niveau en français. Selon le jargon technocratique, il leur faudra avoir le niveau B1 du cadre européen commun de référence pour les langues du Conseil de l'Europe. Plus prosaïquement, ils devront posséder la même maîtrise du français à l'oral qu'un élève de 3e. Selon l'un des arrêtés, ils devront comprendre le «langage nécessaire à la gestion de la vie quotidienne et aux situations de la vie courante». Selon le même texte, ils devront être en mesure d'«émettre un discours simple et cohérent sur des sujets familiers ».

http://www.lefigaro.fr/actualite-france/2011/10/12/01016-20111012ARTFIG00689-un-diplome-de-francais-pour-devenir-francais.php

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: A higher levef of French needed to take Nationality

Seems fair enough to me.  Must get on with it!  It's tough to get motivated with this stuff at the mo.
"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy b*ggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
   Report   Reply Quote

I'm sure your comprehension is up to it. And if you couldn't have asked for a bedpan in all your time in Hospital you would have been in the sh** Devil [6]

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Funnily enough, Norman, that is what I feel about the language thing.  Whilst I know very well that it is possible to cope without, one of the reasons why I feel it's so important at least to try to learn is how isolating it can be if you don't, when you are put in a situation like mine.  I often wonder how much worse it would have been, for instance, if I hadn't been able to make some friends when I spent 6 month in rehab' with no other Brits except when my friends visited.  I think it would have been a truly horrid experience.  To say nothing of understanding what my doctors/physios/occupational therapists/nurses etc were trying to tell me. Thus basic conversation and comprehensive seems like a minumum to me, even though I would never force anybody to do anything.  For one's own sake, I think it's of paramount importance to be able at least to have a chat, if not an in-depth discussion.
"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy b*ggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
   Report   Reply Quote

Can you, Norman, or you, Coops, please explain the benefits conferred by dual nationality?

Go on, do tell me and then I'll decide if the benefits will be sufficient motivation for me to improve.

All this week, I have been doubting things, not believing things, finding things bizarre (followed by que, of course)!

Yes, you've guessed....I've decided I'm fed up with myself for not coming to grips with the subjunctive, so I have been practising at every opportunity. 

I even know all the irregular subjunctive verbs by now though only in the present!Blink [blink] 

Sovereignty: the right to eat cholorinated chicken.
from The Little Book of Brexit Bo ll oc ks
   Report   Reply Quote

Well said Coops.

Report   Reply Quote

The main one at our age is the right to vote in all elections, not just local or European.
You can even stand for President ( look at Eva Joly)
I am without a national vote now as I left the UK more than 15 years ago...

When I was younger it would also have opened up jobs.

I also feel it declares a commitment to the country which is providing and paying for my Health care, and other Social Services, as well as showing that I support their systems of Government. I personally prefer a Republic but don't want to open up that ..

- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Merci, Norman. 
Sovereignty: the right to eat cholorinated chicken.
from The Little Book of Brexit Bo ll oc ks
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine