French Language

Topic has 41 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

bimbeloteries

I am so delighted to have discovered this word and it's amused me so much, I thought others of you out there might like it too.

I know it means colifichets and similar in French and probably knick-knacks in English.

However, it reminds me so much of bimbos that it will now be forever stuck in my mind as things that would please bimbos!  Not that I know the origin of the word "bimbo" though, of course, I would know one if I met her (it's always a "her, isn't it?)

The other word that may or may not be the equivalent of  "bimbeloteries" would be, gew-gaws, I suppose.  That was also a word which tickled my fancy as a child and I couldn't let it alone, claiming that all sorts of toys and things were "mere gew-gaws", said in a superior tone of voice.

Excuse me if you don't find any of this interesting.  Me, I love words: using them, learning about them, playing with them, trying them out on the unsuspecting, and so on. 

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: bimbeloteries

Friperies is perhaps what you are looking for, Sweets!

Bibelots is another that springs to mind, but maybe it's not quite so pejorative.

I have never heard of colfichets, but will try and work it into a few French conversations as it sounds SO luscious.

Angela
   Report   Reply Quote

Strange thing is, Angela, all I was doing was reading some of the stuff on the old calendar from La Poste now that the factrice has delivered the new one and I didn't want to throw the old one away without having a good look at its contents.

There was a piece on Jacques Cartier, who was an exlorer in the 16th century.  It was said that the explorers got to know some Micmac Indians and exchanged goods with them.

For the trade, the explorers changed les "colifichets, couteaux, tissus et autres bimbeloteries contre des peaux d'animaux".

A fair exchange is no robbery, I suppose!

BTW, I also found the recipe for le Banana-bread in the calendar and very nice it tasted too.

Report   Reply Quote

"Battle of the Bimbos" was a tabloid headline in the 80's, it was a sort of low rent DSK affair, for me that was the time that the phrase was coined, I had a younger girlfriend at the time that really was a bimbo, in fact I used to refer to her affectionately as the bimbo and she really liked the name so which proved beyond doubt that she was indeed one.

I did think of selling raffle tickets to offload her, that would have been a Bimboloterie! Wink [;-)]

Report   Reply Quote

Chancer wrote:

"Battle of the Bimbos" was a tabloid headline in the 80's, it was a sort of low rent DSK affair, for me that was the time that the phrase was coined, I had a younger girlfriend at the time that really was a bimbo, in fact I used to refer to her affectionately as the bimbo and she really liked the name so which proved beyond doubt that she was indeed one.

I did think of selling raffle tickets to offload her, that would have been a Bimboloterie! Wink [;-)]

Oh, Chance, that was very naughty but I couldn't help laughing Big Smile [:D]

Report   Reply Quote

While appreciating a bit of word play I wondered what the male equivalent of bimbo would be, only to discover that according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bimbo the term began in US for an unintelligent or brutish male, not used with  a female meaning til 10yrs later, similar to Valley girl; According to the slightly dire Urban Dictionary, the male equivalent is Mimbo, and leads on to an unrepeatable side-effect.Blush [:$]

the real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind, and blindside you at 4pm on some idle Tuesday
   Report   Reply Quote

Yes, JJ, that makes sense to me as bimbo sounds male and you'd say le bimbo because la bimbo somehow doesn't cut it, does it?

But, hey, I'm going to remember himbo, as mentioned in your link except that it also doesn't make sense on its own unless you also have shimbo, I suppose.

Report   Reply Quote

In 1957 a collie at Duror Hotel, Argyll was given the name of Bimbo.

Every time Jim Reeves sang the song on the radio, it went absolutely spare.

BIMBO
(Morris)
Jim Reeves - 1957

Bimbo, Bimbo, where you gonna go-i-o?
Bimbo, Bimbo, what ya gonna do-i-o?
Bimbo, Bimbo, does your mommy know,
That you're goin' down the road, to see your little girl-i-o?

Bimbo is a little boy, who's got a million friends.
And every time he passes by, they all invite him in.
He'll clap his hands and sing and dance, and talk his baby that,
With a hole in his pants, and his knees stickin' out, he's just big enough to walk.

Bimbo, Bimbo, where you gonna go-i-o?
Bimbo, Bimbo, what ya gonna do-i-o?
Bimbo Bimbo, does your mommy know,
that you're goin' down the road, To see your little girl-i-o?

Bimbo's got two big blue eyes, that light up like the stars.
And the way to light them up, is to buy him candy bars.
Cracker Jacks and bubble gum will start his day off right.
All the girlies follow him just a begin' for a bite.

Bimbo, Bimbo, candy on your face-i-o,
Bimbo, Bimbo, chewin' on your gum-i-o.
Bimbo, Bimbo, when you gonna grow,
Everybody loves you little baby bimb-i-o.

You never catch him sittin' still, he's just the rovin' kind.
Although he's just a little boy, he's got a grown-up mind.
He's always got a shaggy dog, a-pullin' at his clothes,
And everybody calls to him, as down the street he goes.

Bimbo Bimbo where you gonna go-i-o?
Bimbo Bimbo what ya gonna do-i-o?
Bimbo Bimbo does your mommy know?
That you're goin' down the road, To see your little girl-i-o?

Bimbo, Bimbo, Bimbo, Bimbo, Bimbo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Gu0dE2A60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbDe4_HIaQM&feature=related

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine