French Language

Topic has 80 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

French prononciation of English names and places

Pretty much every time someone says to me "I have been to England, I stayed at.............." I can never fathom the place name from their prononciation unless I have already heard it spoken by a French person, I usually have  to ask them to spell it. What I cant understand is how widespread it is by people who do indeed know the correct english pronunciation, English speaking newsreaders, reporters etc, I now have to pi55pronounce all english place names to be understood but unfortunately have unwittingly done so in the UK.Blush [:$]

Peoples names are another one, to be honest even the most inbred Englishman only has to hear a French persons name pronounced once or twice to pronounce it pretty well correctly, there is a young lad that I know by the name of Joffré, at least that is what I had thought for 3 years until I saw it written as Geoffrey!!!! I now call refer to him as Geoffrey which his mother adores but no-one else has a clue who I am talking about.

Watching a documentary tonight I heard a name that really jarred my ears, this is my best attempt at a phonetic spelling:

Rob anne sonne Crew sew eh!

Ring any bells?

I know that Ians have a rough time of it here, that Michaels have to just accept being Mikael's but what about any women called Jean?

Report   Reply Quote

Re: French prononciation of English names and places

Yep.
That's me - Jean.
Face to face I always had to say - "comme les jeans" and shake a trouser leg at them.
When filling in forms online I often had them returned with a polite message saying the equivalent of "You put Mme (or "f") - haven't you made a little mistake?
Good job we are back in England now.
   Report   Reply Quote

I'm a Jean too. I always say, "Comme les pantalon."

Hoddy
   Report   Reply Quote

jean is a masculine forename.

perhaps apter

Report   Reply Quote

I agree, it's sometimes quite a puzzle. The one that really winds us up is Michael Shoomarrer! When you ask why, no-one can explain it.

FairyNuff

PS Daniel Defoe's hero I think?
Do I come here often?
   Report   Reply Quote

Oh come on, ...... this is not fair !! Smile [:)]

The vast majority of British people I know can't pronounce my son's name GUILLAUME  ...

He becomes " gwillem" or something like that...

And often ends up being called William ... !

Life has a habit of biting you on the bum in ways that you least expect.............

Report   Reply Quote

FairyNuff wrote:
I agree, it's sometimes quite a puzzle. The one that really winds us up is Michael Shoomarrer! When you ask why, no-one can explain it. FairyNuff PS Daniel Defoe's hero I think?

The French pronounce it in the German way.     CH is " rr" in German.

Life has a habit of biting you on the bum in ways that you least expect.............

Report   Reply Quote

Frenchie wrote:

FairyNuff wrote:
I agree, it's sometimes quite a puzzle. The one that really winds us up is Michael Shoomarrer! When you ask why, no-one can explain it. FairyNuff PS Daniel Defoe's hero I think?

The French pronounce it in the German way.     CH is " rr" in German.

So 'Auch' is prnounced ARRR
and 'Ich'  IRRR?
'Doch' DORRR
'Nicht' NIRR?

I don't think so..

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine