French Language

Topic has 10 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

A wind-up

How can I express in French that I wound someone up? I have tried various translation resources but they all list the other meaings of wind-up, winding up a clock, winding up a meeting etc but not yanking someones chain.

I am thinking perhaps along the lines of J'ai allumé la meche, j'ai versé petrôle sur le feu etc but is there a phrase for intentionally putting someones back up?

I did rather enjoy it though, the victim had it coming for a long time and it was yet another small but nonetheless important milestone for me in speaking French.

Report   Reply Quote

Re: A wind-up

Je l'ai fait marcher

or je l'ai eu ?

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=612866

Animal Aid Saint Aubin

"Saving the life of one animal may not change the world, but the world will surely change for that one animal"

Report   Reply Quote

I like the first one.

Je l'ai eu I get but it reminds me of a long time ago when a French girlfriend told me in English that she had had one of my friends Sad [:(]

Report   Reply Quote

Faire marcher quelqu'un is the most usual, but just thought of another,

Je l'ai emmené en bateau.

Edit: No, I think that should be mener quelqu'un en bateau "je l'ai mené en bateau".

I wonder if you can say both, it's late!   Big Smile [:D]

Animal Aid Saint Aubin

"Saving the life of one animal may not change the world, but the world will surely change for that one animal"

Report   Reply Quote

http://www.expressio.fr/expressions/mener-quelqu-un-en-bateau-monter-un-bateau-a-quelqu-un.php

An interesting site if you already know the phase, and want to check the meaning

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Oui, je l'ai mené en bateau, je l'ai fait marcher ...    
Life has a habit of biting you on the bum in ways that you least expect.............

Report   Reply Quote

My additions.....Je l'ai mene en barque........Je lui est monte une cabane........
Les voyages forment la jeunesse
   Report   Reply Quote

scrapped

Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine