French Education

Topic has 60 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Procedure when absent from school because of sickness?

My son was ill yesterday.  He was throwing up from around 7am until midday and then was weak and had diarrhoea until the early evening.  He really wasn't up to going to school today but will probably be fine tomorrow.

I did what I usually do in these situations and gave him plenty of fluids, even though he kept being sick, to help flush out whatever had upset his stomach and keep him hydrated.  Once he stopped being sick and started feeling a little hungry, I introduced BRAT diet foods to help combat the diarrhoea and also gave him loparamide as directed on the instructions that come with it.  This morning he's had toast so we still haven't strayed from the BRAT diet foods but I'm sure he'll be able to manage more for lunch and eat a normal dinner with us, albeit a smaller portion than normal.

The school rang, as they do, to ask where he is and I said he was ill.  The secretary told me that in France they don't keep them off for 24 hours after been sick or having diarrhoea (no wonder so many bugs get around!) and I told her even though he hasn't been sick through the night, he wouldn't have been up to school today so I'd left him in bed.  She asked if he's coming in tomorrow and I said yes, assuming he looks ok today.  She asked if I've taken him to see the doctor and I said no, there wasn't any need. 

This latter is my problem.  Any time I keep a child off sick they want to know if I've taken them to the doctor and I get the impression I'm supposed to drag them out in any weather to see a doctor as somehow they're not really ill if I don't do that!  I really don't see the point of seeing a doctor for something like this (or a cold or flu) unless it doesn't clear up at what I consider to be a normal rate.  Is this just a culture difference, a result of the whole 'I have coverage and a top-up so I'll get my money's worth and see the doctor at every opportunity' thing (even on a Sunday) or is there some rule that says you have to see a doctor if you keep a child off school?

www.remaininfrance.org
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: Procedure when absent from school because of sickness?

These are the rules about attendance
http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/F1899.xhtml

If they start getting awkward you can always ask your Doctor to visit.
It costs an extra 10€ but I have always been reimbursed on the few times I have really felt the need.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

My kids were ill from time to time, it happens, but I was always on the phone to the school the moment I thought that someone would be there. They never called me, I called them.

And if they were uppity with me, I would simply have said that my child was still ill, because, IMO they still are for a full day after a gastro. If they had asked if I had seen a doctor, I would say that if they got any worse, I'd be taking them to see the toubib and if not, then they should be in the following day and if not, I'd call again at the same time the following day.

And our GP did not appreciate having his waiting room clogged up with minor ailments.

Report   Reply Quote

That's always been my attitude, Idun, but because they always ask the question I wondered if it was a requirement.

The procedure isn't supposed to be that we phone but that we fill in an authorised absence slip which they hand into the CPE upon their return but maybe I'll start phoning instead! 

Norman that link says no medical certificate is necessary but that we should let them know so perhaps that's the answer.  I expect I'll still get asked if we've seen a doctor but at least I now know it's not a requirement!

www.remaininfrance.org
   Report   Reply Quote

Yes they can only require it in certain cases:
http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F20583.xhtml

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Its a good thing to phone them and let them know, its also a good thing that they phone you if you dont, if a child goes missing for whatever reason, hopefully just a missed bus etc, then what could be precious time will not be lost.

Re asking about the médécin, maybe they are just being a little insistent, I always asked my employees the same question but some families might reply that they dont have the money for a consultation and in that case the conseilleur d'education or whatever the name is may offer to help in the interests of the child.

Report   Reply Quote

My husband did try to call but we can't always get a line out.  We asked whether it was necessary for this reason and were told no - what is necessary is to fill in the absence slip.  I could send them an email as our internet connection is often working when the phone line isn't (we have Alsatis and it isn't very reliable sometimes).  It's not calling that's a problem - if they mentioned that then we'd call but it's the doctor thing.  I'd wonder if it was because it's a gastro thing and it might fall under one of those contagious diseases listed and so they expect you to see a doctor just in case, but the secretary asked the same when my other son was bad with a cold/flu last time.  It's not that we don't have the money for a consultation but that I don't believe in seeing a doctor for something that I can treat at home and for which the doctor will only tell me to do what I'm doing anyway.  It's also that it's more comfortable for the child to stay home.  If it was our UK doctor he'd make it clear we didn't really need to see him and would be quite annoyed if we called him out!  

www.remaininfrance.org
   Report   Reply Quote

I've had a number of children in French schools and I have never needed a doctor's note for an absence due to illness.  I have always followed the procedure set down by the school (each one has been different) and signed a note upon their return.  However, first thing, I would telephone the Vie Scolaire to explain their illness and how long I felt that they would be absent.

In one case, one of my chiklren was away for 3 weeks and I still did not need a doctor's note (even though one would have been forthcoming if they had wanted it).  I did keep them informed about what was happening.

Nous ne pouvons pas tous faire de grandes choses, mais nous pouvons faire des petites choses avec beaucoup d’amour.
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine