French Language

Topic has 10 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Clair or Mrs Elephant if you are about....

a teensy weensy bit of help, silver plate.

In the context of agriculture, would  the French word domestique mean a farm labourer in English?

Thank you in advance.

Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: Clair or Mrs Elephant if you are about....

Well, Wools, I do believe that both of those ladies want to know if you yourself are domestiqué before they answer!Wink [;-)]
Sovereignty: the right to eat cholorinated chicken.
from The Little Book of Brexit Bo ll oc ks
   Report   Reply Quote

Now I'll be very shocked if the term isn't 'ouvrier agricole'. Domestique to me, would mean a skivvy, cleaner, servant, someone who worked in a house, rather than on the land.

I remember the first time I heard the term 'labour' in french, we had gone to see a ploughing competition. It made perfect senseBig Smile [:D].

Report   Reply Quote

Wouldn't the old fashioned word be laboureur ?

see also at 5'30 in this video of French folksongs arranged by Poulenc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMNJhToAdL8

(The previous ones can be found at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imvkXNoehaQ&feature=watch_response_rev)

These songs are a rich mine of French...

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Farm worker is "ouvrier agricole" - just like Idun said. And yes, I do know one, and this is what he calls himself.

Norman, AFAIK,  the word "laboureur" is very old-fashioned, no longer in current use.

For the time being I will remain neutral as to Wooly's level of domestication.Smile [:)]

Report   Reply Quote

5-element wrote:

Farm worker is "ouvrier agricole" - just like Idun said. And yes, I do know one, and this is what he calls himself.

Norman, AFAIK,  the word "laboureur" is very old-fashioned, no longer in current use.

For the time being I will remain neutral as to Wooly's level of domestication.Smile [:)]

Rather like me alas..Sad [:(]

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

5-element wrote:

I concur.
 5-element wrote:

I concur.

Smile [:)]

Clair
En Deuil - 8 Nov. 16

Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.
Dalai Lama

Report   Reply Quote

The man who used the term was very old and had been in charge of les boeufs on the farm. Perhaps itr was appropriate for his age which was 80 odd?

Thank you everyone. I do so love concurrence though perhaps red currence are tastier!!

Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine