French Language

Topic has 29 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Can one of the French people

On the Forum (or perhaps Betty or Christine) explain this to me
Headline on TFI news

Chloé, enlevée en novembre, retrouve les policiers qui l'ont délivré

Why not délivrée? The 'l' refers to Chloé who is feminine, and is a object of the verb, preceding the past participle, in which case I thought there should be an agreement.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: Can one of the French people

For me, it's a mistake. The agreement, I think, is needed because the verb isn't causative and Chloe is the DIRECT object. Journalism can be sloppy in more ways than oneBig Smile [:D]

This is an area of grammar that does sometimes make my head hurt, though, so I'm happy to be told I'm wrong.

Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

Groundhog day...

Report   Reply Quote

French grammar is certainly not my strong point.  But, isn't the subject les policiers?  In that case, the agreement is there? 
Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

Yes, I also think it's a mistake.  I always remember "la lettre que j'ai reçue" as an example to help my messy mind.

Another thing which I'm sure we talked about once on here with Clair.  Les livres d'Alexandre (an example) when it should be les livres de Alexandre, non, when it's a nom propre ?

I so often see this with an apostrophe in news articles etc. that I'm not sure any more !

Clair can you confirm that it should be de Alexandre stp.  Merci.

Animal Aid Saint Aubin

"Saving the life of one animal may not change the world, but the world will surely change for that one animal"

Report   Reply Quote

I'm going to stick my neck out and say that "délivré" refers to les policiers and that the sentence is OK.

In your example, Christine, the subject is "la lettre" and not "je" and therefore you need reçue.

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

And if anyone can satisfactorily explain why my village holds la fête de LA St Louis each year ( none of my French friends seem to be able to) I would be soooo grateful.
   Report   Reply Quote

Yes, that's another one Betty, I think they always say la Saint Jean too.

Now Sweets, if it was les policiers it would be délivrés, not délivré.  But it's not the policiers, it's la fille qu'ils ont délivrée as in la lettre que j'ai reçue.  Ils l'ont délivrée.  Has my messy mind explained that clear enough (or should that be clearly enough   Confused [8-)]  )  ?

Animal Aid Saint Aubin

"Saving the life of one animal may not change the world, but the world will surely change for that one animal"

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine