French Language

Topic has 26 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

cringe-making

Is there a French word or, preferably, a suitably obscure French phrase or expression to describe this condition?

And what has prompted this question, I hear you ask.  Well, you can blame NickP.  I have boasted to him that if I found someone stupid, I wouldn't let on.

I now think that it might be useful to mutter something in French under my breath so as not to give the game away Devil [6]

That is, of course, if I am talking about English-speaking people  If I am talking about French people, there isn't the same problem as I know dozens of ways of saying the unspeakable in English Big Smile [:D]

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: cringe-making

At the moment I can only think of 'gener', or 'embarrassant', but not an expression. Is anyone going to give us some wonderful word I'll hardly be able to pronounce. Big Smile [:D]

Report   Reply Quote

Yes, let's hope someone comes along and gives us something to be going on with.

I say someone is a "blaireau" or "le roi des andouilles" if I want to say they are stupid or haven't got a clue.  But I do want to get the sense of "cringe".  Surely, the French can do cringe as well as the Brits, but, the question is, do they have a word for it?Stick out tongue [:P]

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

Faire grincer les dents?

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Il me débecte is all I can come up with.

Animal Aid Saint Aubin

"Saving the life of one animal may not change the world, but the world will surely change for that one animal"

Report   Reply Quote

"Il (elle) me fait grincer des dents" - I like that, Norman. So, "Cringe-making" would be "à faire grincer des dents".

It could possibly be also "à donner la chair de poule", but you might say that about something that is a little scary.

Christine, for me, "Il me débecte" rather means "Il me dégoûte" or "Il me donne envie de vomir"?

Report   Reply Quote

I think Norman's captures the English idea. Larousse and a few others come up with "hérissant", which to me doesn't seem to have the same intention at all...

Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

I like that NH, that sounds right to me. And a phrase that for me is easy to understand/translate.

Chair de poule is creepy, and I can think of a couple of candidates who merit that expression used on them!

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine