French Language

Topic has 8 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Translating centuries- urgent

Urgent help please! I have to do a translation for a "pupitre" of information, before it gets cobbled together by the tourist office and Google. Can someone remind me if eighteenth century in France should be the same or (as I have vaguely in my head) should be translated as nineteenth century in English?

Thanks

!

Report   Reply Quote

Re: Translating centuries- urgent

It's the same as in the UK. So dates between 1800 and 1899 are in the dix-neuvième siècle.

That's because the years 1 to 99 AD were the first century.

As far as I remember, the only confusing bit is that it is common in Italy to do it differently: effectively down there they use a word we might translate as (eg) "the fourteen hundreds" to mean the fifteenth century. And of course you can do that in English too.

Citroen H - State of the Ark Motoring

My Building Blog
   Report   Reply Quote

Does this mean that the French are a century behind? One has wondered.
Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote

woolybanana wrote:
Does this mean that the French are a century behind? One has wondered.

And everyone in the world except the Italians, then.

My Building Blog
   Report   Reply Quote

Yes, I remember this quirk with the Italian nomenclature of centuries when I was cataloging books for an art gallery - fortunately one of the curators helped me out, as along with funny dating systems, I knew very little Italian ... almost every other language I had to work in I could cope with but Italians and their centuries - no way!

Judith
ex W1, via 47 and 11 and now [just] in 34, equidistant from Carcassonne, Narbonne and Béziers, where I hope we'll finally stay!!

Report   Reply Quote

Emily, I just remembered while working on a translation recently that the French usually abbreviate a century in Roman figures (XVIIIe siècle), where we would use Arabic figures (18th century). Probably not very relevant as you are translating towards English, but I thought I would throw it into the mix.

Angela
   Report   Reply Quote

Yes thanks I have done that.
Thanks to all, obviously remembered it wrongly from school. Should I blame the teacher, it was only fifty years ago?
   Report   Reply Quote

EmilyA wrote:
Yes thanks I have done that. Thanks to all, obviously remembered it wrongly from school. Should I blame the teacher, it was only fifty years ago?

Yes, you should. I really blame my French teacher for not making a better job of teaching me French: after all, it was only just a little more than 50 years ago.

My Building Blog
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine