French Language

Topic has 27 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Really embarrassing mistake:(

Yesterday I made a real fool of myself.
I went out for lunch to a restaurant near me which advertises a 'brunch', though to be honest it is more of a buffet.
In any case it is self-service which I am not that keen on, though the quality is good to be fair.

It was one of the nice sunny days I posted about on another thread so at the end I took my dishes inside and looked around for where to leave them.

Not seeing any where obvious I asked the patronne who indicated the conspicuously empty table marked
DESSERTE

I had wondered why the fruit and yoghurt were in another place over by the coffee....

Now if I had been doing a translation I wouldn't have been so stupid, (I do know the word)  but there was something about the situation which mislead me into thinking it was the place for the  Desserts.
Anyway she had a good laugh at the stupid English man who didn't understand French, something which hasn't happened for a while to me Woot! [:-))]

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: Really embarrassing mistake:(

Don't feel bad, it would have caught me out too Stick out tongue [:P]

Hope you enjoyed your brunch!

Do not believe anything until it has been officially denied
   Report   Reply Quote

Ah, Norman, it comes to all of us. The oher day I asked a rather sweet your thing if I coild introduce myself and she said surely I meant present!
Ho hum, back to packing.
Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote

Ah, I am beginning to grin in a rather superior way!Smile [:)]

I have been looking for a desserte roulante on Leboncoin so I have reason to be just a tiny bit smug.

BTW, do they pronounce the final "e" where you come from, Norman?

I don't know about the Dordogne but where we lived in the Charente, someone would have looked at me nastily and said "dessertE" and I'd have felt just as silly as you did Stick out tongue [:P]

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

woolybanana wrote:
Ah, Norman, it comes to all of us. The oher day I asked a rather sweet your thing if I coild introduce myself and she said surely I meant present! Ho hum, back to packing.

I suppose she asked what a double entendre was so you gave her one?

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

I am pretty sure that many French people have no idea what une desserte is.
And, Norman, it could have been worse. At least you didn't attempt to eat the furniture. Stick out tongue [:P]

Report   Reply Quote

When we were furnishing our French house (many years ago) my wife went into a bedding shop and told the sales assistant that she wanted a matelot. He didn't bat an eyelid!
   Report   Reply Quote

Some of our English customers stopped off at a McDonalds on the way down here in the morning.
They ordered their 'food' and tea and sat down at a table and a few minutes later one of them realised they had no milk and went with his very limited French to ask for some.
The young woman behind the counter gasped in horror, as did the customers waiting behind him who then proceeded to shout and gesture furiously at him before he was thrown out.

Any ideas on what he said? I'm always very careful when asking for milk now!
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine