South West (Aquitaine, Midi-Pyrénées)

Topic has 14 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:
Geeked [geek]

Good opthalmologue in SW?

We tried an opthalmologue on spec (sorry!) in Brive over 3 years ago - with a waiting list of only 10 months - but when we got there it was really primitive - extraordinarily out of date compared with our optician of 14 years ago in the UK.   We're not going back there! 

Can anyone recommend a state of the art opthalmologue in the SW (ideally Lot, Lot et Garonne, Dordogne... ?).  As for the waiting list, I'd rather wait and see a good one.

Thanks!

Report   Reply Quote

Re: Good opthalmologue in SW?

If you are going back to UK, go to Specsavers or similar and get a free prescription if that is what you want. Then get the specs made up, sent to a friend and posted on to you.
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

I've thought of doing that but am not planning to go to the UK at the moment.  Above all I want a proper eye examination - not sure if Specsavers is the place for that.  I'd like to find a good opthalmologue in France.

Report   Reply Quote

Well, I am diabetic so the eyes need watching. The examination I had in UK was infinitely longer and more thorough than the one I had in France
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

I have had extremely thorough eye-check with Specsavers, too. Never been in France, so can't compare.

Angela
   Report   Reply Quote

Our optician in the UK used to do a thorough medical examination, including photos of the back of the eye.  That's nothing like what happened in France.  I'll take your excellent advice - thank you both - and get it done next time I go to the UK.

Report   Reply Quote

I think that you will find that they are properly trained opthamologists in shops such as Specsavers.

10 months is not very long, where I used to live it is currently an 18 month waiting list and the depassement d'honoraires often as much as opthamologists charge in the UK.

Report   Reply Quote

Ha ha! You can walk in off the street at my local Specsavers,, and be seen right away!
The examination is free for over-60s, diabetics etc. well, I think that's the case at all UK opticians' actually.

I have no connection with the company, BTW. Only as a satisfied customer.

Angela
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine