Earning a Living

Topic has 15 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Auto entrepreneur and pension

Hi, I have been registered as an AE for 6 years now and was wondering if the income generates anything towards pension contributions?

If so, given that I am thinking of closing down our business in France shortly, does anyone know what the process would be to ensure that any pension contributions are considered when calculating my UK pension (for which I am not yet eligible).

Thank you.
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: Auto entrepreneur and pension

It depends on your turnover. If you have been averaging around 10000 euros year then you may have some quarters that count towards your pension.
   Report   Reply Quote

You can always for a statement of what you have accrued..

https://www.lassuranceretraite.fr/cs/Satellite/PUBPrincipale/SalariesPlus55/Comprendre-Retraite55/Releve-Carriere55?packedargs=null

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

As said it goes on turnover.
To accrue 1 trimestre towards a pension:
Resellers need approx 5k turnover.
Artisans need approx 3k
Prof lib need approx 2k

The max you can accrue in 1 year is 4 trimestres, even if your turnover is more than 4 times the amount needed for 1 trimestre.

That's the theory, but if you're prof lib under CIPAV then you can go whistle because they don't like auto entrepreneurs so they made up their own rules. I think they've been crediting AEs with exactly half of the entitlement they are supposed to get. It's still rumbling on through the courts I believe. If you're an AE with CIPAV you don't normally get an answer if you request a pension forecast, they ignore you.

PS Norman's link is for employees, not AEs. You need to request a statement from your own retirement caisse (which hopefully isn't CIPAV).
   Report   Reply Quote

Sorry, another belated thought on this - If you're not planning on working in the UK between now and retirement, you'll probably want to make sure that the UK and not France takes responsibility for your pension when the time comes. If France was the last country you paid pension contributions in before you retired, and if your pension is significant, in theory according to EU regulations France should be responsible for paying your pension. Depending on your circumstance it might be better to write the French pension off, rather than find yourself stuck in the French system for the whole of your retirment. Just a thought, it may be something you want to look into.
   Report   Reply Quote

Can you do that Foxie?

I do not believe that one's french pension has to be significant for France to be considered 'responsible' if one is living in France. My belief is that it simply has to be paid by the french state pensions.

And I don't understand what you mean by responsible for paying one's pension. As far as I am concerned, the country one worked in* is responsible for the pension, a full working life is grouped together then it is paid pro rata by each country. *And if one makes voluntary payments in say the UK, then that builds up that pension, AS would making voluntary payments in France.

ie chez idun, current french pensions, the state one paid pro rata, next year full UK pension as voluntary contributions were made up to get a full pension.

I am curious as to how this will affect those with businesses in France (paying into the french system) when the time comes. Although let's face it some fonctionnaires interpret the rules very differently.

Report   Reply Quote

Foxie wrote:
Sorry, another belated thought on this - If you're not planning on working in the UK between now and retirement, you'll probably want to make sure that the UK and not France takes responsibility for your pension when the time comes. If France was the last country you paid pension contributions in before you retired, and if your pension is significant, in theory according to EU regulations France should be responsible for paying your pension. Depending on your circumstance it might be better to write the French pension off, rather than find yourself stuck in the French system for the whole of your retirment. Just a thought, it may be something you want to look into.

The' last country' has nothing to do with it except that you apply through their system.(in theory at any rate)

My OAP is paid directly from Newcastle and my various French ones paid from the various French 'caisses' that I worked for.

This has all been explained very well on here by parsnips in the past  and I have explained the rules about French pensions and health cover also.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

idun - I agree, my point really was that if AE earnings added up to just a few trimestres, it might be better not to claim it at all - you're not obliged to. If you don't ask for it, they won't chase you to pay you it. Yes the pension is funded by the country where you paid the cotis but the entire amount is actually 'paid' as in handed to you one country. As no doubt Norman has explained, and I'll no doubt get slapped down again if I say any more so I won't. Sorry I spoke ;)
Friendly forum, this !
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine