French Education

Topic has 12 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

moving with a 16 year old

We will be moving to France next year with our daughter who will be 16 years. Can any please give advise on education options please.We live near Confolens .
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: moving with a 16 year old

As education is only obligatory until the age of 16, you should contact the various lycees in your area and see if they will take your child.

I believe a few years ago, a family could not find a place for their 16 year old in french lycees. So I'm not sure if any state establishment has to take anyone, maybe private lycees would.

Report   Reply Quote

Thank you for your reply. We are also considering distance learning courses. In many ways this maybe better . however we want her to be able to make friends.
   Report   Reply Quote

Don't

You can send me a PM if you want me to expand on that

I'm not a geek, I am a technically aware early adopter
   Report   Reply Quote

I just had to go through old threads and found these three (below) from Wendy, who was known as Jura. 

This was ofcourse some time ago, but as children do not have to stay at school after the age of 16, if they cannot simply go into lessons, ie their french being good, then I do not see why or how the lycees would accept them. The Bac is intensive and far more subjects to pass than A levels. Even the technical courses have all the usual lessons as well as the technical side.

I remember our son in Lycee, he was born in France, all french schooling and he walked out at the end of Premiere, before the exams. He could not stand the profs, and I was so sorry that he did that and walked out, but I understood why.

If your child speaks and reads and writes good french and has good comprehension, and will fit in, it will be easy, they'll be fine. IF they don't do any of those, then I'll not even wish you luck, as I don't think that you should do it. But you will do as you think best or pleases you.

Just about the biggest regret of my life leaving my kids in french schools from college onwards.

p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 120%; }a:link { }

http://services.completefrance.com/forums/completefrance/cs/forums/2/1093590/ShowPost.aspx#1093590

http://services.completefrance.com/forums/completefrance/cs/forums/3/1136544/ShowPost.aspx#1136544

http://services.completefrance.com/forums/completefrance/cs/forums/2/1133576/ShowPost.aspx#1133576

Report   Reply Quote

idun wrote:

Just about the biggest regret of my life leaving my kids in french schools from college onwards.

I agree with Idun about not sending children to a foreign school, at anything above primary level, if they are not fluent in the language.

One of our greatest satisfactions is that we placed our children in an international, english speaking school in 1980, even though the fees were a bit difficult to meet when starting a business.

We took them out of a failing, overcrowded and inadequate school, with incompetent or disinterested staff, who described their prospects of qualifying for further education as poor, to an excellent, enlightened and progressive school, with highly competent staff. They went on to gain good honours and then masters degrees, have become successful in their fields, and are fluent in at least 2 foreign languages.

Quite a contrast to the expectations of the staff in Cornwall, who did not even make use of many of the expensive facilities at the school, and not one of whom would even agree to supervise after school use of the unused tennis courts and playing field, resulting in these being forbidden.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

Our two boys started French schooling at 2.5/3 years. They are now 18 and 20. At college, the English teacher said to us "if you know any English people who want to put their children into French school over the age of 14, tell them not to, its too cruel"

She was the English teacher and only ever spoke to us in French!
   Report   Reply Quote

Mandy wrote:
We will be moving to France next year with our daughter who will be 16 years. Can any please give advise on education options please.We live near Confolens .

Hi - you don't give a lot of information in your post but if your daugther is new to France and isn't able to communicate well in French I would say moving her at 16 to complete her education in a French school would be a mistake. 

I say this not because I think the schools are bad, but simply because I feel your daughter is too old.

There is the option of Inter High - which is an online school where she could study... I'm guessing she's looking to study a-levels?  http://www.interhigh.co.uk/
Failing this I think an international school is your only other option but I'm not sure if there are any near Confolens?

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine