French Food and Wine

Topic has 14 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:
Stick out tongue [:P]

Croissants - straight or curved?

My sister-in-law has just told me that straight croissants are all-butter, and crescent-shaped ones are made with margarine!
I googled this to see if it was true, and could only find sites that said "I think so". However, one of them mentioned that there is a French law on the matter (natch), so I wondered if anyone here knew of it?

Angela
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: Croissants - straight or curved?

I don't remember ever seeing a straight croissant. It seems funny to see 'straight croissant' as it's a contradiction. I suppose you could say a pain au chocolate is a straight croissant though. Those are what I enjoy eating, as a treat on a Sunday morning, maybe after a wander round the vide grenier.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

Happily we are not using the word 'bent' for curved croissants; it was decided years ago by the Tribunal de Grande Instance de Belfort that such a term was pejorative and insulting to those croissants which might have been born different. In fact, the use of 'straight' might imply an opposite or a difference which in itself could therefore be construed as sexist, so please find another term.
Angela is just being a bored and naughty little minx in stirring this up; must be bored!
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

Wooly, I really expected your post to take a different direction!

You can tell I'm bored - recovering from a bug I got since we left the heat of the Gard and arrived in a very much cooler South of England!

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

It allows the baker to distinguish between their pure butter and margarine croissants. It does seem, in France, the butter croissants are usually straight and the margarine curved. Certainly the case with the frozen croissants I buy.
   Report   Reply Quote

When I buy croissants, only when we have visitors, they are from a baker who only uses butter in them; they are only ever crescents. I've never bought frozen croissants - we have at least 16 bakers in our small town.

Report   Reply Quote

I have usually gone by the labelling in French bakers', but never paid attention to what shape I was getting!
I, too, only buy them when I have guests. I have never tried frozen ones.

Angela
   Report   Reply Quote

Curved for goodness sake! What other shape would a proper croussant be?
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine