Swimming Pools in France

Topic has 23 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

River water in pool

Are there any issues with filling my above ground pool with water from the river. I would appreciate advice regarding extraction from the river, filtration, suitable water treatment protocols, possible health concerns or any other drawbacks.
Many thanks.
P

Report   Reply Quote

Re: River water in pool

That would depend very much on the situation of the river? If it were something like the Orbiel close to us, then that would be a HUGE NO! Because it runs through an old gold mine and is contaminated with loads of heavy metals. There are sanctions on what can be sold growing along the course of the river. So very much dependant on where it's come from?

It would also depend on who owns the river and the water rights me-thinks?

John.

Never forget that you are unique, just like everyone else.
http://johnamandiers.wix.com/johns-w-o-w-1
   Report   Reply Quote

Doesn't sound like a good idea to me, with all the run off from the fields. The chemicals you will need to clean it and stabilize it could cost more than filling it from the tap. It costs us 50 euros on average to fill our pool from scratch with tap water.
   Report   Reply Quote

I'm with you Lindal. I know people who have used well water with similar results and had loads of trouble because of the contaminants. Mind you, there are a lot of people around here who will pick and eat the grapes straight from the vines and they know what has been sprayed on them!!! Sorry, off topic there.

Swimming in the river would be my bet if you want river water, but not in the pool. Even then I would choose the river carefully.

We get quite a few holiday makers on the Canal du Midi swimming in there even although they are told not to. I suppose that it's not so much swimming as going through the motions Woot! [:-))]

John.

Never forget that you are unique, just like everyone else.
http://johnamandiers.wix.com/johns-w-o-w-1
   Report   Reply Quote

It was an option I needed to investigate so thank you both for your learned opinions. I'll continue with the safer option of using the tap water !!
Thanks,
P

Report   Reply Quote

pierrexe wrote:
I'll continue with the safer option of using the tap water !!
Thanks,
P

Yes that is the sensible thing to do.

Passivpool Energy "A++" rated Swimming Pools, the lowest running costs in the Universe.
   Report   Reply Quote

We have a small river (large stream?) alongside our property; our boundary is halfway across the river bed. The notaire pointed out that we own half of the river bed but have absolutely no rights to fish or extract water. I'm fairly sure that extracting water is not allowed in most places.

It's difficult to say what my wife does...
She sells seashells on the seashore.
   Report   Reply Quote

Spot on as far as I know Sid, also putting your own hydro generating plant into someones water flow even if on your property is also not allowed.

Then it gets me onto my soap box as to how "They" can claim the water as theirs Devil [6] They have no manufacturing plant nor did they treat the water before they put it into the river or stream, You can't hold "Them" responsible for the contaminants in the water they didn't make.

Their water is trespassing on your property!

Passivpool Energy "A++" rated Swimming Pools, the lowest running costs in the Universe.
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine