South West (Aquitaine, Midi-Pyrénées)

Topic has 61 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Wanted: Property Let or Purchase Near Sarlat/Salignac

Hi all,

Unfortunately, our house purchase close to Salignac, just north of Sarlat, has just fallen through. We are still keen to move to the area and hope to do so this side of Xmas. We are looking for a minimum three bed house/gite for around 3-6 months, possibly a bit longer depending on how long it takes us to find somewhere else to buy.

Anyone with anything of interest please comment or email us at paulshield101@gmail.com. Would prefer to do this privately but if anyone has any good websites or Facebook pages for rentals in the area please let us know.

We are two adults, two kids and a middle-aged well-behaved dog.

Many thanks
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: Wanted: Property Let or Purchase Near Sarlat/Salignac

Maybe this a good omen !!!

You mentioned the words middle aged with kids. Thats me and I am also an arrogant t**** that has been here a long long long time !!!!

Do you really want to join/live in that Dordogne/Sarlat misery ?

I have read so many bad stories about that expat hell hole.

I am making a serious point here.
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Sauce for the goose is not necessarily sauce for the gander. The dog is middle-aged and needs some English speaking dogs for company.
There will probably be dozens of property sellers who will bite off the hand of a potential buyer, given the present market.
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

I try not to and don’t often ‘bite’ when the tired old cliches about various parts of the Dordogne are trotted out.

I have had a holiday home about 6 kilometres south of Sarlat for the last fifteen years and I love it and what’s more there are very few English people anywhere nearby.

What exactly is your experience of the Sarlat area Alittlebitfrench ? I do feel that it’s important that we give accurate information.

Report   Reply Quote

Back on topic, we are now in the trêve hivernale and renters will be very cautious, well at least the French ones will, cant recall if you are looking for furnished or unfurnished but the standard rental terms are 3 years and 1 year respectively, given the time of year a French landlord will probably want a year up front and that is forgetting that you probably wont pass the income criteria if there is an insurer or agent involved.

Best to look for an off season gîte rental, cant see your posting maybe thats what you said! 

Report   Reply Quote

@ Hoddy

I have nothing wrong with the Dordogne itself but I have never understood why the region is such a magnet for British/other expats. I went there (briefly) last spring and yes its lovely but there are thousands of equally nice places around France. The question is, why is Sarlat and the area around it such a magnet for the British ? I must say at this point that we did have however a nice hot chocolate in Sarlat with a nice view of Burtons. Sarlat is lovely, but to live with a family ????? We stayed in Domme, and every other house in the town seemed to be foreign.

The OP mentioned being middle aged and having kids. Would I move there with my kids ??? No.

I read an interesting thread from a French school teacher based in that area about expat kids who end up in schools in the Dordogne/Bergerac/Sarlat . He said that a vast majority of expat kids tend end their schooling with no real proficiency in any language which obviously affects their future .

I found his analysis quite interesting.

No UK TV in our house for that reason.
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Hi

Just for the record, the dog is middle-aged, I am a spring chicken. There are very few English around Salignac, certainly none in either of the schools we have identified for the kids. There's a real sense of community (French not expat) and I love foie gras. Vive Le Dordogne. What's not to ❤️
   Report   Reply Quote

PS101 wrote:

"Vive Le Dordogne. What's not to ❤️ "

Duck Pizza...LOL

Well, duck anything for that matter including Foie Gras. Yuk.

I just googled Salignac !!!!

Just out of interest, what the feck do you want to do in Salignac ? (I would insert a smily thing at this point but I can't with my browser on this super dooper forum.)
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine