French Food and Wine

Topic has 24 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

aiguillettes de canard

Does anyone know what these are? I saw a recipe using them, said they were best eaten raw.
Looking on Google it seems they could be thin strips of duck breast, but raw? Smoked would be OK.

Report   Reply Quote

Re: aiguillettes de canard

Yes correct strips of meat that are left after the magret is cut out. Personally I use in a stirfry.
JFB

Report   Reply Quote

Lovely cooked on a plancha.

Report   Reply Quote

I fry them very lightly, add some very thinly sliced onions (sweet onions like Cevennes or Spanish leaving the onions still crispy) and eat them in a hot sandwich using ciabatta or other breads whose outsides can be crisped up in the toaster.

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

Filet of duck breast I think.
I cook very lightly in duck fat, deglaze the pan with raspberry vinegar and add a little figue jam to give a sweet coating, though at the moment I have an unusual jam made with piments d'espalette  which adds both sweetness and a touch of ...piment

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Pat, forgot to say you could buy packets of them at Lidl's and they are nicely prepared, not too thin, not too thick and are delish.

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

Thanks for the replies - I've got a few in the freezer and sometimes wonder how to use the unsmoked ones. I liked smoked best, in a salad, but it's expensive.
I just wondered about the word aiguillettes - I looked it up and it seems like little needles.

Report   Reply Quote

Yes, PatF, they are like little needles, if you think about it ...

Judith
ex W1, via 47 and 11 and now [just] in 34, equidistant from Carcassonne, Narbonne and Béziers, where I hope we'll finally stay!!

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine