French Language

Topic has 20 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

French words you are pronouncing incorrectly

Anyone noticed the little article on the right of this page under most read??? 'French words you are pronouncing incorrectly'.

My bug bears: -  rust and hot water bottle were not on the list, because I do struggle getting my mouth/tongue around those words....... but this list ........and as far as I am aware, I have always pronounced them properly.

Still, I'm sure that there are many words I say that are more than a bit iffy, but I try.

And the french call a sweat shirt a 'sweet', so they don't do much better do they.

Report   Reply Quote

Re: French words you are pronouncing incorrectly

AFAIK, id, they write sweet but they say sweat like we do!

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

un oeuf ("erf"), but
des oeufs ("euh")
always gets me; not sure I have it right even now.
And I think it's similar with
un os (ohss), but
des os ("oh")

Maybe Eric will pop by and tell me I have got all that the wrong way round!!
   Report   Reply Quote

One that I never got sussed - is 10 km Dee kilometres or Dees kilometres?
   Report   Reply Quote

Pont and Paon, sound the same to me.
   Report   Reply Quote

EuroTrash wrote:
One that I never got sussed - is 10 km Dee kilometres or Dees kilometres?

dee kilomètres

And for oiseau:  un boeuf but des "bur" alsoSmile [:)]  Like un vent à décorné les boeufs......but that's another subject altogetherBig Smile [:D]

Report   Reply Quote

Big Smile [:D]Lehaut, you have made me giggle...... because my first reaction to your post was that bridges may creak a little, but peacocks make the most bloody awful racketBig Smile [:D]Big Smile [:D]Big Smile [:D]

mint, where I lived, everyone said 'sweet' for a sweat shirts, never sounded like 'sweat'.

In mid sentence I still hear dessous and dessus as the same word and I always have to ask en haut or en bas.  Said, on their own, and I am OK.

Still not just the french...... with my MIL always saying san fairy ann and EVERYONE saying, 'already you' ...........IT IS VU not VOUS...... winds me up! yup it  does.

And I would say dee kms, although in the Savoy region they do say the X and Z at the end of many pro nouns, ie Chamon ikks, or ey kks (aix) les Bains. I just know family names with the Z pronounced.

Report   Reply Quote

Id, I wasn't thinking of proper nouns such as surnames or names of towns.

It's just that after dix and six, the French do not sound the x if the next word (or noun) begins with a consonant.

See jours, dee poulets, etc.

But seez oeillets, deez étrangers, etc

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine