Earning a Living

Topic has 26 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Mint.....Do you like Fish & Ships ?

I was feeling a bit down this morning so I went on the Anglo idiot website to cheer me up. Sure enough they did.

There was a thread there about someone who wants to 'up root' their family in the UK and move to the Dordogne (wherever that is) and run a mobile fish and ships van.

It was a very funny thread. One poster said ' don't you think there are enough people selling English stuff in the Dordogne ? ?????.

Up rooting your family and moving to the Dordogne to open a fish and ships business must be the dumbest idea in the world. Closely followed by a gite business. Or am I missing the point. Can you earn a living selling fish and chips in the Dordogne and support a family ? Methinks not.

So Mint will you be a customer ?
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: Mint.....Do you like Fish & Ships ?

There is a very popular F&C van just south of us and a large part of the customers seem to be French. It's been going for several years now, but I can't find it and wonder if they are atill there?

John.

Never forget that you are unique, just like everyone else.
http://johnamandiers.wix.com/johns-w-o-w-1
   Report   Reply Quote

Bonjour, ALBF, nice to see you backSmile [:)]  So, have you finished building your home cinema (deffo not very French) and are back in Paris?

No, don't think I will be a customer and there are no fish and ships van within a radius of, I would think, 80 to 100 kms.  Don't knowBlush [:$]

I lived in a seaside town in the UK with a fish and ships place within 2 minutes' drive and people used to come for miles around to buy the stuff and eat it, sitting by the sea.............

I don't think we bought fish n chips for more than maybe twice a year.  When I look back now, from la France profonde, I think that perhaps we should have patronised the shop more as the fish n chips were really tasty.  I used to buy "3 fish and 1 big chips" (that is, a large portion, enough for both of us adults, not counting the adult cats) but, those were the days; I waited for both cats to die before leaving for France.

Just goes to show you don't appreciate what you have until the time when you can't have it anymore.  I'd pay double now for what we never bothered with.  BUT those were the days when they served real cod or hake and in large portions.

Nowadays I suppose they serve you carp and chips or coley or chips, no more lovely chunky lumps of white cod and equally delicious lumps of hake.

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

Still at home Mint, in the lovely Loire valley. Back to Paris next week. Cinema room is finished, and would you believe with UK telly. Just about to watch F1 qualifying....Not in 3d though....that is had been. Cinema rooms are very French BTW.

I was told that hairdressers in France have to cut about 6-7 people a day before they start earning a living. So you start making money on your eighth cut.

That got me thinking, how many pieces of cod in batter to you have to sell on a mobile fish and ships van before you start to making money ? More importantly, where do mobile fish and ships vans in the Dordogne get their fish from?????

These types of questions keep me awake at night.
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

And bakers, and deliverypeople and .... The French State takes about 60% I reckon when it should be less than 40!

Sure you weren't in the Dordogen, ALBF? I am sure I saw. Large white Mercedes van driving round the area, stopping and looking at the empty properties!
Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote

There are some round here, mainly, I suspect, patronised by the English, but since I've never been I wouldn't know that.  They now have regular monthly slots in cafés or bars, who the fish and chip customers buy their drinks from, and since they are repeated ad infinitum and quite a lot of locations (I get the pub as part of another mailing) so they must be popular.

Actually, when they started, we did try going once with a friend, didn't know you were supposed to order in advance and when we got to the beginning of the queue they were waiting for another batch to be cooked and others were in line before us, so we finished our apero (no problem with the bar itself)  and walked up the road to our favourite restaurant and watched the French playing petanque.  Much better idea all round!

Judith
ex W1, via 47 and 11 and now [just] in 34, equidistant from Carcassonne, Narbonne and Béziers, where I hope we'll finally stay!!

Report   Reply Quote

We ate fish & chips from these people at a Christmas fair over to the west of the Languedoc, delicious!

http://www.ccfishandchips.com/About-Us.html

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

Jonzjob wrote:
There is a very popular F&C van just south of us and a large part of the customers seem to be French. It's been going for several years now, but I can't find it and wonder if they are atill there?

This would appear to be in your 'neck' of the woods.

A friend in need's a pest. Get rid.
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine