French Education

Topic has 88 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Should I correct a French teacher who teaches English ?

Ok....

Which of the following sentences is correct when writing in English ?

She has got green eyes.

She has green eyes.

Discuss !!
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: Should I correct a French teacher who teaches English ?

Both, although I would tend to use the first as a sentence in itself, and the second as the first phrase of a complex sentence, such as:
'She has green eyes, blonde hair and a lovely smile'.
http://www.anglaisfacile.com/exercices/exercice-anglais-2/exercice-anglais-2360.php

In the negative and interrogative you need the auxiliary 'does' or 'doesn't' if you choose the simple 'have' form:
'Does she have?'
'She doesn't have'

Whereas with has got you can use a simple negative or question form:
'Has she got?'
'She hasn't got'

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

No, I disagree.

(I did have to phone a friend on this matter mind you)

You don't need the 'got' when writing in proper English. Spoken is Ok, but not written.

ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

I would use 'She has green eyes'.

I have green eyes, they have brown shoes, she has ginger hair, we have two children etc.

I don't use 'got' in written or spoken English.

However, it's acceptable to use 'got'. I wouldn't correct the French teacher who teaches English.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

I was always taught that there is no such word as got; however with common usage, today there certainly is such a word and it is widely used,

I would therefore have to accept that both are currently correct.

As to the question of if you should correct the teacher, that can be a difficult situation, depending on the teacher.

A friend's daughter in Germany corrected her teacher of English. When asked to provide the plural of:

The student did his homework

the teacher insisted that the correct answer was

The students did their homeworks

He would not accept that homework does not accept an "s" in the plural and gave said friend's daughter the equivalent of a detention for her trouble.
Andy

A European Rahinja.
   Report   Reply Quote

http://learnenglishteens.britishcouncil.org/grammar-vocabulary/grammar-videos/have-got
The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Whilst it seems the general concensus is that these days using got is OK, to me it seems too american ...personally I would not use it if it is not needed.  Keeping things simple is the best option ....

In the green eyes example above, has green eyes states the possession, thus using got as well is superfluous.

Judith
ex W1, via 47 and 11 and now [just] in 34, equidistant from Carcassonne, Narbonne and Béziers, where I hope we'll finally stay!!

Report   Reply Quote

Despite the article in Norman's link going on at length with examples of 'got' and 'have got', it ends with:

<<In British English we use have got more in speaking and have more in writing – it's a little more formal.>>.

I find the use of 'got' in British English very ugly.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine