French Language

Topic has 8 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

encore and toujours - plus and d'avantage

I think I usually get the first one right:
encore is usually "again".
toujours, always or still ie "she's still working".
Not sure about the next one - I asked in the garden centre, "avez vous de plus de cette plante?" And she replied "il y a beaucoup d'avantage la bas".
Any further advice?

Report   Reply Quote

Re: encore and toujours - plus and d'avantage

I would say that d'avantage means something like 'a lot more' or 'further"
'savoir d'avantage' is used when you want further information for example, or travailler d'avantage means 'to work a lot more'

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

QUOTE patf
encore is usually "again".
toujours, always or still ie "she's still working".
Not sure about the next one - I asked in the garden centre, "avez vous de plus de cette plante?" And she replied "il y a beaucoup d'avantage la bas".
END QUOTE

Actually, I think in the example you gave, Pat, of "She is still working", you might hear "toujours" OR "encore".
"Elle travaille encore"
"Elle travaille toujours"
I stand to be corrected, but I think either of them can mean both "She is still at work" (i.e. working late), or "She is still working" (i.e. hasn't retired/given up work yet).

Plus is a tricky one, because it can mean "more" and "no more"!
"Avez-vous d'avantage de plantes comme celles-ci?" "Non, il y'en a plus". (Of course, there should be a "ne" between "il" and "y", but in conversation it would often be dropped.

Report   Reply Quote

I learned the difference between de plus and plus de to my cost very early on, I asked for another beer with my meal and the waitress took my glass away Sad [:(]

Pas encore can mean (correct me if I am wrong) net yet (started/done) or no more (no more please/I dont want any more)

D'avantage I understand the sense in which it is said but am not confident enough to use it except for certain instances where I regularly hear it, some-one ripping the ar5e out of something or someone, tirer d'avantage.

Report   Reply Quote

I had it from a French walking friend recently that toujours, like encore, can mean still as in c'est toujours disponible?

As Chance has said encore as in pas encore means not yet.

To introduce a new slant on this, I think toujours aussi means still as well......sigh....

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

Or...

Oh non....pas encore ! - Oh no.... not again ! (As the art mistress said to the gardener....).

@+

Andrew

Report   Reply Quote

Plus, yes I fell foul of that in my early days and avoid it as much as possible.

Report   Reply Quote

Thanks to all - oh dear, I'll never get the hang of this language. So many shades of meaning - (as in ours.)
But just hoping they know what I mean. There must be a limit to the times you can get away with "Desolée - je suis anglaise!" and they reply "Je sais".

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine