French Food and Wine

Topic has 16 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Cream cheese in France.

I've never been able to work out which type of french cream cheese is suitable for various foods.
Last week I tried to make a cheesecake. There's a cheese stall in the market which sells some sort of cream cheese loose from a bucket. One is white, one is yellow. I think the white one was creme fraiche. I bought 800g of the yellow one, made the cheesecake, but it was a disaster.  After adding the eggs cornflower, lemon it suddenly became completely liquid, almost like milk.
I went ahead and tried to fill the tin I had prepared, with spongecake base, then it started to pour out of the bottom of the tinCry Out [:'(]
Transferred all quickly to another tin. Then the spongecake floated to the top.
Anyway I baked it but it was horrible - too greasy and sponge burnt; Gave it to the hens - what a waste.
My question is, what kind of french cream cheese is best for cheesecake?
ps I think what I bought was probably full fat creme fraiche.

Report   Reply Quote

Re: Cream cheese in France.

Brand name St Moret or the Lidl equivalent.
   Report   Reply Quote

I would say St Moret too, shall ask my son what he uses, as he makes cheese cakes in France................... I hate the stuff..........

Report   Reply Quote

Its what I use to make cheesecakes, its what I was told when I asked and in use and taste to me it is identical to Philadelphia cream cheese.

My problem was always with getting an equivalent to double cream for whipping and then folding into the mixture, solved that by using Lidl Mascarapone mixed with crème fraiche.

Report   Reply Quote

Heston Blumenthal's cheesecake recipe works with the 375g cottage cheese, 375g cream cheese and 210g soured cream replaced by 1000g fromage blanc (not the 0% fat version).

Report   Reply Quote

So - fromage blanc (not the 0% fat) or St.Moret. Thanks to all.
But after this last experience it's nearly put me off cheesecake altogether.

Report   Reply Quote

Heston's recipe includes a small amount of cornflour to help stabilize/thicken the mix. Here, there has been no need to add more. Just don't over beat the fromage blanc or add too much lemon - but we prefer a dash of vanilla essence and Ts of Grand Marnier/Limoncello. I assume you are separating the eggs? Adding the yolks to the cheese and most of the sugar but whipping the whites/sugar to soft peak and then folding them in to the cheese mix? Whipping whole eggs into the mix will produce a very liquid mix.
   Report   Reply Quote

No, I didn't separate the eggs - that must be the reason it went liquid. Didn't know that.
What do you use as a base, pomme?

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine