Finding/Owning French Property

Topic has 50 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Struggling to get agents to send details of property

I've emailed quite a few agents regarding properties for further information but get no reply. We want to visit in October for a few days with the intention of viewing as many places as possible and making an offer. I'm struggling to get a portfolio of property together. Is it better to come over and do it in person. Are agents open on weekends? Any advice appreciated. Thank you.
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: Struggling to get agents to send details of property

Phone them and speak to them. More reliable than email.
   Report   Reply Quote

Many French agents do not want to disclose details, especially location of a property, as they are afraid people will approach the seller directly and bypass them. Agents' "For Sale" signs are very unusual for the same reason. Their commissions ar so high that there is a real incentive to avoid paying them.

You will find that many adverts don't show the view from the road in the pictures, and they quite often state the property is in another nearby town.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

Mrs jaye said:

'We want to visit in October for a few days with the intention of viewing as many places as possible and making an offer'

Hmmmm......when we bought our last house we spent nearly six months looking and we only lived 1hr away.

We are looking to buy another house and this is the second month and we live 15 minutes away.

Given what you have said above, that is not a realistic target. Or to put it another way, a very big expensive gamble.

What area of France are you looking at ? Are we dealing with 'expat territory' or real France ? All the agents we contact get back to us. If you are in expat territory, then well.....!!!!
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Dont expect any response from anyone until the 2nd week of September even if they returned from their holiday mid July its against the law to do any work until la rentrée and actually a week after that to allow everyone to talk about what they did in les vacances.

You will also have to re-send all the e-mails as they will have been deleted.

Report   Reply Quote

Mrs Jaye, don't be discouraged.

We made several house-hunting trips, using the old Brittany Ferries cheap 5-day return offers.

I'd settle on an area, choose the houses I wanted to see, ring the agents or the owners themselves and set up 2 appointments for each day that we were there.

Better not chance more than 1 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon as sometimes places are further away than you think, you or the agent are running late, etc.

Good Luck with your searchSmile [:)]

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

Mrs Jaye ... as Mint says it is better telephone or, even better, visit in person estate agents for all the reasons she mentions. She is also right in that looking at properties can take a lot longer than in the UK.

Also please ignore alittlebitfrench ... as it seems his mission in life is to try and wind up as many people on as many fora as possible.

Good luck and don't be put off coming back if you think that we might be able to help.

Sue
Computing - it's another world
   Report   Reply Quote

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

Im put off by telephone as I dont speak french, however, I am learning .

We're in no hurry really....we will only go out in school holidays so if we don't find anything in October then we will be visiting for two weeks in April so can look again. Happy to wait to find the right place.

This is a great forum and I will no doubt be regularly popping up asking questions and in time may be able to provide help myself :-)

Thanks again.

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine