Finding/Owning French Property

Topic has 25 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

La ville idéale...the best place to live in France

So you want to move to France and need to choose a place to live.

Try this website.... https://www.ville-ideale.fr

You see, the best places to live in France are not the most obvious to the British. I have said that for many years but only to get constant abuse for saying so. This site backs me up.

Some score examples..

Bergerac 4.39/10
Sarlet 5.74/10
Gueret 4.73/10
Eymet 0/10 (nobody wants to live there)

Saint Amand Montrond 5.17 .....be careful some Brit French property developer (lol) sells houses there to unsuspecting Brits...eek.

ALBF Ville ..... 8.48

Come on Chancer, how does your ville score ?

Be careful where you buy !!!!!!!

ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: La ville idéale...the best place to live in France

Interesting that Troo and Lavardin both score a big fat ZERO, I'm glad to say.
NickP
   Report   Reply Quote

Those results are very suspect. I reckon that site is a bit like Trip Advisor, open to abuse.
No-one , least of all my French friends, considers Rodez  7.47 more desirable than Montpellier  5.98....and Bordeaux only comes out at 6.37 although these last two are regularly quoted as being favourites with  the French

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

@Norman

Bordeaux is only a favourite with French Cadres because it is cheaper than Paris and they might stand a chance finding a job. Otherwise it is a complete dump. Like Lyon I have to say.
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

This site paints a rather different picture.
I note that bothe Béziers and Tours come in the same category (4)

http://www.planet.fr/dossiers-de-la-redaction-les-villes-les-plus-attractives-de-france.19785.1466.html

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Unless you want to retire....and Tours comes joint 3rd in the whole of France.

http://www.parcoursfrance.com/actualites/top-10-des-villes-ou-prendre-sa-retraite/

But the catch is, it is not the city but the banliue !!! I don't live in Tours.
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

ALBF - thank you for bringing this site to everybodies attention here. I have so far read only about the nearest city to ourselves and glanced at others. I can identify with those who gave both low (1 ish) and high (8 ish) scores.

I do think, though, that drawing general conclusions from this site is perhaps wrong. It is much more relevant and useful to read the comments for any particular place to get a feel for why the average score for the place is as it is.

As an example Perigueux got a very low score for transport. As somebody who has a car this is not a problem for me. Likewise the roads were described as in a poor state! Goodness, that person hasn't driven along our lane in the Uk, or indeed our city there! For me Perigueux would be higher, but I do accept that the areas outside those that I tend to go to are not too good (but better IMHO than most larger cities). Buses, though, are very poor, again IMHumbleO.

In conclusion, its a very interesting and useful website so thanks, but use it with caution and it will be very informative.

(sorry but it is starting to sound like a review!)
My name is Richard , not Dick or any variant.
Dick is a crude name for a functional organ that is used as a derogatory name. Any reference to me as Dick will be met with equivalent response. Strange that it cant be policed better.
ex Consultant NHS

Report   Reply Quote

Our town got 8.07/10 - and some of the 'negatives' will soon be gone (such as lack of lycee as it's being built)

Saint Gilles Croix de Vie 85800
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine