French Food and Wine

Topic has 24 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Can you get stir-fry in France?

Just back from the UK and I enjoyed several meals with stir fried veggies Aldi have some good value ones and some decent ones that are often short dated 50% off, none of them keep for long so the ones I brought back will soon be gone.

I would like to cook one for my vegan friend next week, I dont mind preparing the veg but have never seen fresh bean sprouts on sale in France, only tinned ones, can you buy them anywhere?

Report   Reply Quote

Re: Can you get stir-fry in France?

Some tinned ones are essentially vacuum packed but I could not give you a brand name - sorry. Auchan possibly.

I tend to put ones from jars in at the last minute, but the crunch is not there of course.
Andy

A European Rahinja.
   Report   Reply Quote

used to see them in HyperU. Try you local Bio shop
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

Do you have an oriental supermarket near you?

You could sprout some yourself, of course.  Buy bio mung beans, soak overnight, then I believe you could sprout them in a jar, rinsing the contents twice daily.  I have a germoir and I rinse mine twice daily.  They are ready to eat in about 5 days so you still have time to do them.

Without the crunch, bean sprouts are the pits!

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

The last stir fry I did a couple of weeks ago I topped off with some canned beansprouts, as long as you add them at the very end just before taking the wok to the table they will stay crisp.
And guess where i got them?
NOZ - €0.99 and they were locally produced in Brittany!
At any time the urge to sing "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" is only a whim away.
   Report   Reply Quote

I googled "Germes de soja" and "pousses de soja" and "Germes de haricot mungo" - references come up for them on Carrefour Drive, Leclerc and Auchan, and Grand Frais.
Obviously, I can't tell you if your local branch sells them, because annoyingly all these websites insist you insert your postcode, but it looks like they're available. Whether they're seasonal, widely stocked, etc. I have no clue.
I AM sure I'm talking about fresh ones, before anyone asks. I think "barquette de 500g" is unlikely to be anything but fresh.
Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

I've seen them in Grand Frais and Intermarche and Auchan in Bordeaux
   Report   Reply Quote

I've bought fresh mung bean sprouts regularly at LeClerc - my only problem has been that the packs are too big and I can't use them all in time. All the other stir-fry fresh veg are available also, even lemon grass. Ironically the only one I can't find is 'Mange Tout'...
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine