French Food and Wine

Topic has 28 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

one for Patf and other bakers of bread, please

Now, I am no expert when it comes to baking bread.  What I use is Dove Farm dried yeast and whatever flour I have handy and put it all in the machine to do its work.  Results are always better than my own efforts.

Now with all cupboards and every available storing place chock full of stuff (expecting to perhaps have little time to shop in the new year), I can't find the Dove Farm.

So, in the supermarket today, I bought a small cube of levure boulangère (42g) which I think is enough for two 500G loaves.  Can someone please tell me what to do with this fresh yeast?

Do I need to warm it to room temperature, mix it with warm water before use, what exactly, svp?

Thank you.  You'd be doing OH a big favour certainly should I be short of time for cooking because his pièce de résistance is, as always, cheese sandwichesSmile [:)] 

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: one for Patf and other bakers of bread, please

Lucky you to find fresh yeast!
Put it into a bowl with a tsp or 2 of sugar (or honey) and pour on some warm water, about half a pint. Then put in a warm place to rise - about 5-10 mins.
Then use as with dried yeast.
I use Francine dried yeast now, it works well.

Report   Reply Quote

As the OH of somebody obsessed with making sourdough and keeping the yeast alive can I suggest training your OH to go to your nearest supplier of Pain de Campagne - the stuff that keeps for more than 2 days.

Whilst not up to homemade standard and also costing more it certainly is less hassle to get!! You may appreciate it too.
My name is Richard , not Dick or any variant.
Dick is a crude name for a functional organ that is used as a derogatory name. Any reference to me as Dick will be met with equivalent response. Strange that it cant be policed better.
ex Consultant NHS

Report   Reply Quote

Pat, thank you.  Looking forward to making a couple of loaves and freezing them, ready to eat.

Richard, we have a boulangerie that does good bread and basic pastries not 2 minutes away but, for sandwiches, I do prefer more or less bread squares, with crust off and cut into trianglesBlush [:$]

Yes, I know......not into stick shape or ball shape or paving stone shape or anything else shape and the consistency has to be soft and but not squidgeyBig Smile [:D]  

Report   Reply Quote

Talking of soft bread - my loaves, white and wholemeal, used to stay soft in the fridge for nearly a week. But now seem to start to dry and harden after 2 days.
I'm using the same brands of flour ( Dove Farm or Marriages) and same method.
Could it be that the flour manufacturers are using different wheats?
That's why I stopped using bread flour made from french wheat, it produces "bread" which hardens so quickly.
I know you disagree with this, Idun, but maybe you finish a loaf quicker than we do.

Report   Reply Quote

Stands back in amazement about using ALL that yeast for two measly loaves.............. IMO far too much. I would use half that for 7 x1lb loaves, there again, that is by hand.

Also, I would never dream of doing other than freezing my bread the moment it was cool in portions we use and getting it out fresh every time we need it.

All this by the old lass who uses cheap and cheerful white flour for her bread and seems stingy with the yeast....... still, I do have lovely soft tasty bread. ( I do admit that I often do halfy halfy white and wholemeal too).

Report   Reply Quote

Fortunately, haven't baked the bread yet!

So, id, you think that a 42g cube is too much for 2 loaves?  OK, will split it into 6.

If using dried, I normally use a teaspoonsful.  I, too, mix up my flours.  My favourite is to add some oatmeal, love the lighter results.

Report   Reply Quote

I use cheap flour for bread (and the dried yeast that comes in sachets) but then I found a stronger flour in Leclerc that was only about 75c, then a couple of days ago I saw that Lidl have a 110 flour also only about 75c. I'd never pay the huge price that's asked for 'real' bread flour.
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine