The Complete France Post Bag

Topic has 37 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Brits in France

http://www.completefrance.com/french-property/buying-property/which-areas-of-france-are-least-popular-with-british-buyers-1-4920763?utm_medium=email&utm_source=eshot&utm_campaign=newsletterlink
NickP
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: Brits in France

Old data from 2011 but the population figure for Picardie sis significantly lower from the one I recall from previous data, I bet its a lot lower today despite the prefecture being besieged by applications for citizenship and cartes de séjour compared to previous years.
   Report   Reply Quote

I would move to Franche-Comté, Alsace or Lorraine tomorrow. Not because it has less Brits, but because they are some of the nicest regions to live in France. BTW, they got their house price figures completely wrong. You need a few more euros than that.

Is it me or are the nicest places to live in France are the ones that Brits don't buy in ? Why is that then ?
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

This is down to taste, some like that 'look' of the Med, not for me, at all.

I have seen a lot of France, not all, but I would not move to Alsace or Lorraine, for Franche Comte for that matter, all of which I have visited.

And house prices, yes, they will always be a deciding factor.  But I would always be wary of a particular village or area of a county being significantly lower than other parts, the question I would ask, is why is that.Blink [blink]

Report   Reply Quote

The northern Allier is not the most picturesque part of France, is miles away from beaches, ski resorts and international airports and certainly doesn't enjoy the best winter climate. So I meet very few other Brits. But as a place to live and mix with the locals, it is just so easy. I find it difficult to identify with a lot of the negative experiences mentioned by contributors - and the UK media - in relation to other parts of France.

But then again, perhaps being deaf has something to do with it....
   Report   Reply Quote

Idun said..

"I have seen a lot of France, not all, but I would not move to Alsace or Lorraine, for Franche Comte for that matter, all of which I have visited "

The question I have to ask is why ?

People move to to France for work or retirement.

In terms of work, then you have no choice. In terms of retirement, then France is your Oyster.

Personally, I would not move to Brittany, Normandy, or anywhere in SW France. I really don't see the attraction. For me they are just boring places to live.

The regions of Alsace, Lorraine or Franche Comte are so much more interesting on every level.

Let's be clear though, if I was in the UK.....I would not move to any part of France. Maybe Paris, Lyon or Marseille etc. Stuck in some rural village....no thanks.

ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

I like the area south of Chablis and also le Berrichon.
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

Let’s be clear, luckily not many people are like you. You can’t get anything right, you even contradict yourself in your final paragraph. At least I’m safe here in Brittany and can sleep safe knowing that you won’t be buying the house next door.

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine