Driving in France

Topic has 9 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Tow Vehicles For Horse Trailers

Hi all. We are looking at moving to France when we retire in a few years and we are starting our research. What are the favoured cars in France for towing horse floats? Also what are the best horse trailer makes. We currently tow an extended two horse straight load with a Mazda BT-50 (same as Ford Ranger) in Australia. I also noticed a lot of horse trucks at horse shows last time we were there. Is there a reason for this such as cheaper registration, etc? Want to do research on prices etc. Thanks.
Live every day as if it's your last because one day you will be right.
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: Tow Vehicles For Horse Trailers

I thought maybe one of the horse owners on here might have contributed by now, but as no-one has replied, apart from your choice of vehicle, there are general rules for towing trailers in France which you should consider.

First, all trailers with a laden weight (PTAC) over 500kg must be registered, so must have a Carte Grise, and for this they must be homologated in the EU.

Homologation documents are provided by the manufacturer, and may sometimes be obtained retrospectively, but take care when buying second hand.

Apart from the car manufacturer's figure for the weight which a car can tow, the driver must also hold the appropriate licence, as set out here: https://docplayer.fr/4214357-La-reglementation-sur-les-remorques-et-caravanes.html

PV = poids vide, PTAC = poids total autorisé en charge, PTRA = poids total roulant autorisé

A trailer with a PTAC over the specified value may not be towed if the conditions are not met even if it is empty.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

Yes yes yes Nomoss, but nobody seems to care in France about any rules regarding driving, towing or anything else really.

Skoda Yeti is what you need as a towing vehicle.

Just so happens I ave one for sale.
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

alittlebitfrench wrote:
Yes yes yes Nomoss, but nobody seems to care in France about any rules regarding driving, towing or anything else really. Skoda Yeti is what you need as a towing vehicle. Just so happens I ave one for sale.

I don't think the OP is looking for a bagnoleBig Smile [:D]

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

Thanks for the replies. I will be buying my float and car locally to make sure everything complies and I currently have a heavy rigid licence in Australia so would not foresee a problem with gaining the relevant licence.

I have seen some popular float names through other questions and will use those to research prices.

We have a lot of research to do as we need to decide if it is worth bringing all my workshop equipment over in a big container (and changing the electrical plugs over) or buying everything new. I need to also find the names of tool shops etc. so that I can research those prices. With inlaws in England it sounds like that might be the place to get my power tools.

What about tow vehicles.? I lean towards something four wheel drive as we like to go skiing.

Cheers
   Report   Reply Quote

If you are dragging a horse box down muddy lanes and into fields, I would definitely recommend 4WD. It is an added plus when driving into the mountains for skiing. And for the winter sports I would factor in a spare set of wheel permanently set up with winter tyres (winter treads, not studs) and a full set of chains. Get to know how to put the chains on in the warm and dry - much better than finding out in a blizzard.
Andy

A European Rahinja.
   Report   Reply Quote

You will see a lot of familiar Japanese 4x4s in Europe but most European manufacturers do them these days. Land Rover? Mercedes? BMW? Volvo? VW/Audi Group (ignoring the Yeti)? Lamborghini? It depends how much you like your badges and how deep your pockets are.
   Report   Reply Quote

Thanks for the advice. We are regular visitors to the ski fields here and are familiar with chains. Love the challenge of driving in snow although my BT-50 (Ranger Clone) makes it quite boring as it goes around like it is on rails, even without chains.
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine