French Education

Topic has 24 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

violence in french schools

https://www.ladepeche.fr/article/2018/10/26/2895618-encore-affaire-braquage-profs-bientot-policiers-interieur-ecoles.html
It looks as if France has similar problems with discipline in secondary schools to the UK.
Read the comments for some ideas how to cope.

Report   Reply Quote

Re: violence in french schools

Been quite a bit on french news about this recently.

So what do people on here think about reintroducing corporal punishment, Ie caning or as happened in my primary school, slippered on the back of the legs or backside.

Even young children seem to be quite aware of hitting another child to hurt it. And yet, children are to be treat with kid gloves even though they can physically hurt adults, with impunity. All seems strange to me, that we have got to this strange.

Is not old fashioned fear of corporal punishment a good way to install discipline????

I cannot think of anything else. Exclusion from school, means lacking education and I am AGAINST that. Reasoning, well, ah yes, just saw a flying pig.......

And that is how I feel about it.

ps when my kids were in french primary school in the 1980's, the male teacher would clip kids around the ear......... and I am against that too. No one ever said anything incidentally, and it didn't happen to mine so I said nothing.

Report   Reply Quote

Reminds me of a conversation I had just recently with a wacky friend of mine in the UK who used to be a teacher, she's just retired and was remembering the early days of her career. One of her memories was that as a new teacher she was very strict on discipline and if they broke her rules she used to punish them with a ruler across the palm of the hand. One day she'd called a misbehaving child out for a whack with the ruler and she suddenly had an epiphany moment, she said she looked into his eyes as he stood there and thought "Why am I doing this, he's a child and he's waiting for me to hurt him, I shouldn't be hurting children" so she told him to just go and sit down and behave. And then all the other kids started shouting "Miss, miss, that's not fair miss, you punished the others you should punish him too" so in the end in total confusion she called him back out and rulered him. (She's a lovely person but she should never have been a teacher!)
Point being, that back then kids obviously saw justice in that if you were naughty you deserved to be punished. When did it change?
   Report   Reply Quote

EuroTrash wrote:
................. Point being, that back then kids obviously saw justice in that if you were naughty you deserved to be punished. When did it change?

Possibly when people became weaker, softer, and more compliant, and didn't have the guts to do what they had promised.

And everyone became more worried about what others would say about them than what they really believed they should do.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

This is not a problem with children.

You could argue it is a parent problem.

I would argue it is a French 'cultural' problem.

You have no idea how many kids in school come from broken families. One parent families, divorce, this that and the other.

I said to my OH it must be at least half the class if not more.

Yes, (believe me) there are a lot of psycho kids in French schools. But it is not their fault !!!

Parents are on waiting lists to put their kids into catholic schools or into private education. Even Muslim families want to put their kids into private catholic schools to escape state schools.

French 'life' puts such a burden on families that marriages break up. It is 'French life' that is the problem. Unemployment, the COST OF LIVING, bureaucracy, TAXES ...etc etc etc. It is hard to live in France. The strain on family life is immense and kids suffer.

Most people at OH's work are divorced !!!

Don't blame the kids.

Idun, have you read about Grenoble recently. It seems (according to La Figaro) that it is become the drug capital of France. Large parts of the city are lost.

Brits looking to live the 'dream' need to have a reality check when it comes to France.
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

" Unemployment, the COST OF LIVING, bureaucracy, TAXES ...etc etc etc. It is hard to live in France. The strain on family life is immense and kids suffer...
Brits looking to live the 'dream' need to have a reality check when it comes to France."

To be fair ALBF, Brits who come here to retire and live the dream are not going to be bothered much by any of this. Cost of living obviously but hopefully they've budgeted for that, and the only bureaucracy they're likely to encounter is CPAM and the tax office, which they probably find plenty but CPAM and the tax office are the easy ones, they don't have the likes URSSAF, CAF, CIPAV etc to contend with. Their reality is not the same as the reality of the average French family.
   Report   Reply Quote

EuroTrash wrote:
To be fair ALBF, Brits who come here to retire and live the dream are not going to be bothered much by any of this. Cost of living obviously but hopefully they've budgeted for that, and the only bureaucracy they're likely to encounter is CPAM and the tax office, which they probably find plenty but CPAM and the tax office are the easy ones, they don't have the likes URSSAF, CAF, CIPAV etc to contend with. Their reality is not the same as the reality of the average French family.

But the French family has the great advantage of being able to speak and understand French!Wink [;-)]

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

Very true... well that backs up my point really, it is a different reality with different challenges.
That said, speaking and understanding French doesn't necessarily help very much with CIPAV (my current bête noire) because they seem to speak a language all of their own.
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine