Driving in France

Topic has 19 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Winter Tyres !!!

So, I had a little accident. Something fell off a lorry and shredded my front tyre and blistered another on the back.

So I needed four new tyres. We ordered some summer tyres and agreed a price.

Yesterday I took the car to get them replaced. The garage (for some reason we are trying to work out) put 4 winter tyres on the car.

I did not realise at first but when driving home the car felt phenomenal when driving. I had soooo much grip. There was also no tyre noise. The car was completely superb to drive. If felt brand new.

When I got back I looked at the tyres and I realised they were winter tyres.

Now I have 4 winter tyres on my car. I have two choices. I can change them now (which the garage has accepted to do) or keep them and buy some summer tyres when the time comes.

Given their performance, I can't think of a good reason to take them off.

What do you think I should do ?

BTW, if you are thinking of getting winter tyres and can afford to do so.....DO IT.
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote
Big Smile [:D]

Re: Winter Tyres !!!

Keep them, they will not only add fun to winter when you show off climbing your snowy hill but they are so much safer with steering and braking actually possible.
I use winter tyres when temp drops to 7 or below.
Passivpool Energy "A++" rated Swimming Pools, the lowest running costs in the Universe.
   Report   Reply Quote

Keep them, it's November. Who knows what winter will bring.

We used to change from summer to winter at about this time of year, because being caught out was not a good option. Trouble is that they don't last as long as summer ones, at least they didn't.

I regret that people do not use winter tyres much in the UK, would make driving for all much easier when we do get snow, but there you go.

Report   Reply Quote

Keep them and spend the next few months searching for a good value second set of rims hopefully with some good tyres on them, paying out to have tyres swopped over every year is a mugs game.

You will of course have to learn how to change a wheel  Stick out tongue [:P]

P.S. 10 out of 10 for integration, one damaged tyre, another allegedly damaged and you need 4 new tyres Big Smile [:D]

Report   Reply Quote

Chancer wrote:

Keep them and spend the next few months searching for a good value second set of rims hopefully with some good tyres on them, paying out to have tyres swopped over every year is a mugs game.

You will of course have to learn how to change a wheel  Stick out tongue [:P]

P.S. 10 out of 10 for integration, one damaged tyre, another allegedly damaged and you need 4 new tyres Big Smile [:D]

Maybe he had different tyres or wear on front and rear.

Or different sized wheels?Woot! [:-))]

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

Hang on Muppet Brits

The front right tyre was shreaded. I drove home on it for 5 Kms and it was definitely flat. Lol.

The back right had a buldge the size of Chancers brain coming out of the side of the tyre. It was just hanging on to life. Just.

So 4 new tyres were required.

So, yeah I am keeping them.

Completely converted to winter tyres.

I think tyres also have inelastic demand. Not sure. Lol.

Chancer might get that.

ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

At least this Muppet knows how to fit the spare wheel.

EDIT: BTW, the instructions should be in the drivers' handbook, but evening classes are available.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

😃 😄 😁

Or youtube might help..........

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine