Finding/Owning French Property

Topic has 15 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

New Builds - who sets the annual charges

Inevitably we shall have to move into an apartment as we grow older. These cost an astronomical price around here = we are talking 750,000 - 850,000 {more than houses actually} so we do not want to saddle ourselves with extremely high annual charges on top of the purchase price - NB have seen one apartment with the annual charges set at 5000!!!!!
So the question is, who is it that actually sets these charges, and how? On what are they based? Obviously communal lighting, lift, probably cleaning, and maintenance must come into the equation but can one also put in an offer to purchase and have the charges lowered? Cheeky or what? But we are asking this question before, and not after the event as we have been caught unawares sometimes in the pastConfused [8-)]
Thank you everyone

Sheila
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: New Builds - who sets the annual charges

As I understand from apartments we have owned, communal charges are agreed by the committee elected by the co-proprietors, advised by the syndic, and proposed, and voted on by the co-proprietors, at the AGM.

They are not negotiable on purchase; they are decided by the co-proprietors, and are the responsibility of the prospective owner, and the seller has no influence over them. It may be possible to proportion them over the year when buying by agreement with the seller.

Edit: In the case of a new build, the apartments may not all be sold, so that fixed charges may be divided by a small number of owners, resulting in the communal payments being unusually high.

Another pitfall is that there is a tendency for absentee owners not to pay their share of the overheads, but as these are generated by bills which have to be paid, the burden falls on the other owners to pay them.

You should get a copy of any and all the agreements and rules affecting the property before you buy. I suggest getting a Notaire to advise you on this.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

700-850 k for a flat in Evian les Bains ???

That caught my attention. LOL

Just looked on Le Bon Coin and by golly you are right.

That is near Paris prices.

For a new build, I would not pay more than 1000-1200 euros per year.

In fact, that is the max I would pay on any flat.

Be careful here. So many factors to take into consideration.
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

The Haute Savoie has always been very pricey, especially areas so close to Switzerland like Evian. Remember the suisse sometimes cannot afford to live in Switzerland anymore and the Haute Savoie is a cheaper option.

In spite of a fast lane at the border for trans frontier folk, the queues at rush hour are horrendous.

Report   Reply Quote

Evianers wrote : Inevitably we shall have to move into an apartment as we grow older. These cost an astronomical price around here = we are talking 750,000 - 850,000

LBOF wrote : Just looked on Le Bon Coin and by golly you are right

Gosh .. although I am familiar with looking at LBC (esp for property) I could not find any apparts at those prices .. perhaps I didn't look for long enough 😊

I suppose it depends on what you are looking for .. but a very spacious 3/4 bed appart with spacious bathroom and shower room for 480 000€ or 560 000€ seemed fairly reasonable for the desired location.
There were many of similar sizes at the lot lower price of 280 000€ and upwards.
Which area of Evian are you looking at ?
Computing - it's another world
   Report   Reply Quote

Yes, as far as I am aware there will usually be some rented appts in a new build block, and the charges, well, can be negociated later by a committee, I am pretty sure that someone on french news had taken it in hand where she lived and had got the maintenance and general charge reduced.

Pretty sure that it was on France 2 journal de 20h in the last ten days and you can usually see old episodes on the tv5 monde web site. Maybe worth plough through them.

Report   Reply Quote

alittlebitfrench wrote:
700-850 k for a flat in Evian les Bains ??? That caught my attention. LOL Just looked on Le Bon Coin and by golly you are right. That is near Paris prices. For a new build, I would not pay more than 1000-1200 euros per year. In fact, that is the max I would pay on any flat. Be careful here. So many factors to take into consideration.

I assumed the OP is talking about a bit more than a "flat".

I envisaged something like at least half a floor of a building, with all facilities and services included, which implies a bit more than just a communal entrance and stairs..

We paid around 1000€ a year in community charges for a studio with a communal pool and gardens near Leucate, on the poor man's Rivière Big Smile [:D]

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

The local taxes on a flat can be higher than those on a house as I found in the one I have just sold.

The "charges" for the co-propriété are made up of several things.
If the 'syndic' is a professional there are the administration fees which can be very high, then there are maintenance costs (servicing lifts etc) and general cleaning and grounds maintenance

see here:

Even with a 'syndic' bénévole who was one of the other owners my charges for 2018 in a small flat were 130€ a month as we had some repairs to be done, but that wouldn't affect a new build.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine