French Language

Topic has 54 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

How are your efforts to "learn more French" working out?

Today, I was making a series of RVs chez le kiné.  There was my diary open to note the dates.  She was a bit amused to see that I have a diary (A 5 size) like those used by schoolchildren.

She was to be further amused when she saw what I'd written opposite yesterday's date: les gaz lacrymogènes and blindé. What's all this, she asked?  Well, er.....I heard those words when I was watching the news and I thought I'd add to my vocabulary.

Easy to work out les gaz lacrymogènes but blindé left me flummoxed and I had to resort to la dictionnaire.

Anyone learnt any new words that are completely unguessable at?Big Smile [:D]

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: How are your efforts to "learn more French" working out?

Mint - strange you've mentioned blinde. I belong to a WW2 forum and not long ago found out there that it means armoured vehicles. I still don't know the connection. a very strange word.
Blinder means armour, evidently.
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_des_v%C3%A9hicules_blind%C3%A9s
Although we're back in the UK I still read La Depeche online everyday to try to keep up with a bit of the language. I'm still not good on listening and understanding.
I have a friend here from Paris and when she realises I can speak a bit of french she starts gabbling away really fast and I hardly understand any of it. It's a  pity because I can see she feels isolated because her english isn't too good.
ps here's another good one I found on ladepeche today - ras le bol. sick and tired of. No idea of the origin.

Report   Reply Quote

It's easier from Spanish, armoured glass for shop windows and steel shutters are "blindado".

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

Yes but , what's the root of blinde?  Is it from latin?

Report   Reply Quote

Patf wrote:
Yes but , what's the root of blinde?  Is it from latin?

I think the Spanish and the French come from a Germanic source.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

Pat, I looked it up and etymologically it comes from the German "blenden" - to blind or block. Which makes sense...
Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

I can see that, Betty, but it's still a big stretch to armoured vehicles.
The vagaries of language.

Report   Reply Quote

http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads/french-tank-drawings.74427/#post-799006
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine