Finding/Owning French Property

Topic has 22 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Recommendations for removals firms - France to UK

For a variety of reasons (not just the dreaded B-word!) we are moving back to the UK.

Does anyone have recommendations for removal firms? We would want a full packing service on contents of a large house.

I did a search on the Forum but couldn't find anything within the last few years......

Thanks in advance
Chrissie (81)
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: Recommendations for removals firms - France to UK

I would try searching from the UK end as they are very keen to get return loads.
NickP
   Report   Reply Quote

We moved back last Feb. from the Gers. We got 3 estimates, 2 from nearby french companies and one from Bishops Move UK. The UK one was half the price of the french ones.
Removal day was a nightmare because of the weather - our drive was a sea of mud and they had to shuttle up and down to their lorry in the lane in our neighbour's transit van. Took 2 days instead of one. We fed them and they showered in our house, slept in the lorry.
But they worked hard and the company kept to the estimate. Everything carefully packed.
Their lorry had a trailer, they said they had picked up one load, and were going to pick up another on the way back.
Back in the UK the eventual delivery of our belongings went quickly and efficiently. Nothing broken or missing etc.
I definitely recommend Bishops Move.

Report   Reply Quote

@ Pat
Not that OH and I have any intention of returning to the UK .. but the firm you write about seem to offer exceptionally good service . . which can be so difficult fo find .. especially if you don't know where to begin looking after spending umpteen years happily in France.
Computing - it's another world
   Report   Reply Quote

Chrissie,

Sorry to hear you are "leaving" us, and so we won't manage to meet up for books etc etc.

However, my Rotary club have installed 2 (soon to be 4) "boîte à livres" in places locally, which we have to check for books on a regular basis, so I have a way to get rid of books now, and all for a good cause, though not yours!

However, regarding your post about removal firms.  We used Bishops Move on more than one occasion, the last being at least 10 years ago, when I came here.  When we moved from "that" house to "this" house 8 years ago, we used a firm from Narbonne, and they had only to move the big furniture, we did the rest (only moved 20 mins drive, and did not need to time the sale / purchase together), and that cost pro rata a lot more.  Though we did need a lift to get some of the furniture out of the old house!

UK firms will often be very competitive, especially if you can fill them up on a return load!

Judith
ex W1, via 47 and 11 and now [just] in 34, equidistant from Carcassonne, Narbonne and Béziers, where I hope we'll finally stay!!

Report   Reply Quote

Well, that's fascinating - I shall definitely be investigating Bishops Move, thank you everyone!

I'm glad you found an outlet for your books, Judith - I have managed to persuade someone else to take over the sales here in aid of the local dog refuge, so that's a relief.

Chrissie
   Report   Reply Quote

I hope you find someone good Chrissie.
I forgot to mention one thing about Bishops Move - you might not get the exact date you want.
Because they wait until they can coordinate 2 or3 other collections.
Ours was more more or less a good date for us, as husband stayed behind in the house for a few days, with minimum belongings, which he brought back in a trailer

Report   Reply Quote

I recently used a firm that is based in the Aude, so not too far from you.
The people running it are English.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine