Finding/Owning French Property

Topic has 38 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Garden hedging

Massive garden clearing going on. Lots of ivy and bramble removal. Now the garden is all open, we need to re plant but what with?
Don't want privet or conifers as too many biting insects and they are boring.
Any suggestions?
Passivpool Energy "A++" rated Swimming Pools, the lowest running costs in the Universe.
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: Garden hedging

Laurel?
Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

Pyracantha? Our neighbour opposite has it, good deterrent, nice flowers, great berries, he trims it by hand and it look great Need thick gloves..
   Report   Reply Quote

Thank you both, looking into them now. Just how spikey nasty are pyracantha thorns, been looking at Google images but can't really see the prickly bits.
Passivpool Energy "A++" rated Swimming Pools, the lowest running costs in the Universe.
   Report   Reply Quote

I'm not a gardener, so treat my suggestion with caution, but what about hawthorn? It's nice and thorny, so makes a good boundary. And anything thorny makes a safe refuge for nesting birds, and birds eat insects, so everyone's a winner!
   Report   Reply Quote

Bamboo
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Pyracantha is a good idea, although I prefere a more informal mixed hedge.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

We had pyracantha at our last house, growing up by the side of the front door. All I can say is that the flowers smell like dead people. I guess if your hedge is far enough away from your house, it's not a problem.
Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine