French Food and Wine

Topic has 20 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

lettuce

How do you dry your lettuce, I bought my first salad spinner just after I moved to France and have had spinners since.

I have been to french friend's homes and they have a rounded mesh  basket, looks a bit like an egg basket... with big handle and they go outside and shake it there, big circular movements.

Would I use a tea towel......... or kitchen roll??????? I just wouldn't as I wouldn't think of it. The only thing I do dry in fresh tea towels is bonduelle's tinned macedoine veg, if I want to make up a quick macedoine.

Also, I was also told never to cut lettuce, but tear. Not sure if that is right or not, I do know that since I bought a non metal lettuce knife, it doesn't brown at the edges......and I wrap the rest of the lettuce  in aluminium foil before fridging it.

Report   Reply Quote

Re: lettuce

I prefer mesh basket, but I haven't got one now. So it has to be spinner or shaking individual leaves by hand.
   Report   Reply Quote

Spinner or tea towel.
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

I use both; spinner for large amounts and basket for small amounts.  And I tear all lettuce leaves but I like them to be bite-sized pieces because I HATE it when the leaves are too large to eat tidily!

I use kitchen towels to dab dry bulgar wheat for tabouleh; don't like couscous, the texture is yuck IMHO!

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

I use a spinner which I find Good, but OH (who is a chef) tells me it bruises the leaves so when he's around I use kitchen paper or a tea towel that is only used for drying lettuce.

I tear the leaves, only use a knife to shred finely the leaves as we're about to eat.

Now another question, do you find that lettuce browns even if it hasn't been cut? I can't seem to keep any lettuce, other than iceberg which is not my favourite. I prefer the batvia and red leaves but they turn so quickly.

Report   Reply Quote

Well I was told that lettuce should be kept in foil and keeps better and I have found that to be so.

I never spin so long that the leaves are bruised, don't want them bone dry after allBig Smile [:D]........

I never used to like iceberg at all, but as others in the family do, would buy it and actually I quite like it now. I do like a little in a mixed salad, as it gives and extra crunch.

I have never had bulgar wheat taboule. I make taboule with semoule grains..... think that what is you called cous cous mint.  We love it, our son even snacks on it. Maybe it is the way I make it???? I have never used a recipe, just one of those things that french folk taught me, au pif.

Report   Reply Quote

Beware that you do not fall foul of the Slug Protection Society. Their message is to get the slugs off the lettuce and into the garden before washing lettuce otherwise they might drown which is cruel. Otherwise JC will not have dinner with you!
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

ROFL, I remember going to someone's house in France, not french people either and there was a slug in the lettuce on my plate.........beurk.......... couldn't eat any of the salad after thatIck! [+o(]

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine