The Complete France Post Bag

Topic has 10 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Flax fields

This year the number of fields given over to growing flax (lin) has been surprising. It is rotated on a four or five year cycle so I am seeing some fields of it for the first time.
Strange, straggly plants, with the stalks cut and laid flat until they rot, then off to be used for clothing, mainly in China nowadays, apparently.
The seeds are increasingly used for food supplements - I put it in my oats, for example.
The plants are environmentally friendly too apparently.

And what a change the crops make from the usual arable stuff, particularly bl oody boring fields of spuds.
Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: Flax fields

Now now, I love potatoes. And they are rather pleasantly green and leafy........ and a million times better than those sinister sunflowers we had in our region........... urrgggghhhhh!

Or the manky looking maize, that seems to be about rotten by the time they pick that too.

Report   Reply Quote

And the flax does have those ephemeral pale blue flowers that hover above the stalks like a mist, for just a day.
   Report   Reply Quote
Big Smile [:D]

Has wooly a nice head of flaxen hair now?
Passivpool Energy "A++" rated Swimming Pools, the lowest running costs in the Universe.
   Report   Reply Quote

'pale blue flowers' - beautiful, as you say, Loiseau.
We lived in a cereal growing area and it was often a puzzle to guess what each field contained.
One farmer only ever grew maize - he fed it to his pigs. But the others chopped and changed, and occasionally grew flax. Other favourites were sarassin and colza. Wheat barley sunflowers etc.
I think flax was used as a green manure.

Report   Reply Quote

Agreed Birdy - I wondered what the blue fields were whilst going along the Chartres rat run a couple of weeks ago.

Thank you WB - gritted teeth.

My name is Richard , not Dick or any variant.
Dick is a crude name for a functional organ that is used as a derogatory name. Any reference to me as Dick will be met with equivalent response. Strange that it cant be policed better.
ex Consultant NHS

Report   Reply Quote

This has reminded me of a house we very nearly bought in Deux Sèvres.

In the grounds, there was a sizeable lake which was obviously man-made.  On looking at old maps, we learned that it was a place for soaking flax.

Sovereignty: the right to eat cholorinated chicken.
from The Little Book of Brexit Bo ll oc ks
   Report   Reply Quote

I wondered what the blue fields were whilst going along the Chartres rat run a couple of weeks ago.

More often Opium Poppies
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine