The Complete France Post Bag

Topic has 14 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

You might not have a political bone in whole body, BUT......

this is a MUST READ because you are ALL affected!

Sovereignty: the right to eat cholorinated chicken.
from The Little Book of Brexit Bo ll oc ks
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: You might not have a political bone in whole body, BUT......

How?
Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

Betty, I thought that you of all people would grasp the implications straightaway.

Here is a quote from the article, citing a book:

In her recent award-winning book, to be published in English next year as The Price of Democracy, Cagé calculates that 600 wealthy people in France gave between €3m and €4.5m to Macron’s election campaign. In other words, 2% of all donors made up between 40 % and 60% of all En Marche funding. Within a few months, the new president cut taxes on the wealthy, giving his richest donors “a return of nearly 60,000% on their investment”. Just as with Notre Dame – a tiny deposit, a lot of influence and one hell of a payout.

OK, I do know that you are not fiscally resident in France but even so this has echos everywhere else, don't you think?

Is it acceptable that money can buy you influence beyond your dreams, can buy you presidents, whole governments?

Don't know what we as individuals can do about that but it's an uncomfortable subject on which to reflect.

Perhaps though, Betty, you belong to the global elite and you already know all about these inner workings of social and political life?Stick out tongue [:P]

Report   Reply Quote

Sadly, mint, that's as much "news" as the fact that Queen Victoria is deceased.
Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

Yes, I agree, it's not "news" as such.  Still, IMHO, it's pretty stark when you read actual figures and current examples.

I must admit I had my doubts even as Notre Dame was burning and the pledges were coming in thick and fast.  BUT, but, but, I was half hoping that my cynicysm might for once be misplacedWoot! [:-))]

Report   Reply Quote

Well, the money for Notre Dame is not all needed yet so maybe it will come in as needed from these donors.
Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote

The money should have gone to public services through taxation rather than given to greedy billionaires.

Its sad that people cannot see how it affects them.

My name is Richard , not Dick or any variant.
Dick is a crude name for a functional organ that is used as a derogatory name. Any reference to me as Dick will be met with equivalent response. Strange that it cant be policed better.
ex Consultant NHS

Report   Reply Quote

The government of any country can only have taxpayers money if they use it correctly which the French do not. For example, a small case, l’ affaire des homards this week, or 60 billion wasted on duplicated central and regional and government services.
Some of the rich you wish to punish with your mindless taxation have created thousands upon thousands of jobs in a country where job creation hindered by excess regulation and the rest.
Or to take the British example, how much has been stolen from the NHS over the years - it runs into billions

Yes, Cuba is an example, an example of equal wages for everyone and equal levels of poverty, as is Venezuela and we all know how successful they have been!

There is a limit to public services, dickduck,

Corbyn would destroy wealth, destroy the middle classes and also destroy democracy as he aint no democrat.
Remember too that Macdonnell wants to nationalise land and build tower blocks in every village, as well as allying the UK with Cuba.

One could go on but the garden and sanity call.
Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine