French Language

Topic has 30 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

I can't answer this question....

but I am hoping that someone here could!Smile [:)]

A bit of context:  I was making a RV with my kiné who likes to practise his English.  We agreed on next Wednesday at 2 o'clock, the same as for this week.

So he asks me:  the same day, the same hour?

I said, well, actually in English, we would say, same day, same TIME?

That left us both perplexed.  He said that in French we would say le meme jour, la meme heure.  He argued that "time" didn't make sense because you couldn't say le meme temps!

Now, I have no idea why we say "same time"; "same hour" deffo doesn't sound right to me.  Apart from the sound of it, I don't know why we say the one and not the other.

Has anyone got a rational explanation?  Maybe there isn't one, maybe it's just usage but I thought I'd ask in case there is an interesting explanation.

Norman, Betty, Hoddy, any idea?

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote
Whistles [Www]

Re: I can't answer this question....

Sorry I am not Hoddy, Norman or Betty but ..

In French to ask the time you say ..'quelle heure est-il' ?
In English we ask 'what time is it' ?

Simply that.
Computing - it's another world
   Report   Reply Quote

French uses "heure"where English uses "time", as you know. In English, time is the blanket, uncountable noun, and hours, minutes, days etc are the countable, measurable units of time.
In French, broadly, "heure" is both the countable and the uncountable noun, as it can refer to a general or specific time...

Not sure if that's clear enough? I can't even see the whole of the sentence I've typed at once as I'm on my phone.😂
Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

And you CAN use temps in French just like in English in certain circs. Like "je regarde le TDF et j'écris ma réponse en même temps"
Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

Good replies, Sue and Betty.

Next time I see him, I will hit him with both those points.  He'd like the countable and uncountable; many of my French friends seem to like discussing those sorts of grammatical niceties.

Shame in a way that that will be my last appointment so I won't get a chance to pointedly say same day, same time to him.  Also he is rather dishy and he's done me a power of good.  My cough is practically gone and, because of that, I feel free to do lots of stuff that I felt inhibited about. 

Report   Reply Quote

Mint - you overestimate my competence in Franch.
Oddly, I was musing on something similar last week.
In a recipe for clafoutis i found peu à peu and petit à petit in the same sentence. I could only think that the sentence flowed better that way. Maybe someone has a better idea ?

Report   Reply Quote

Just Google "quelle temps est il?" You get weather!

But also "at the same time" is "en même temps".

So time, weather and hours intertwined?

No science - it just is!!

As Sue (Scientist/Mathematician) says.

My name is Richard , not Dick or any variant.
Dick is a crude name for a functional organ that is used as a derogatory name. Any reference to me as Dick will be met with equivalent response. Strange that it cant be policed better.
ex Consultant NHS

Report   Reply Quote

Betty's bound to know that one!Smile [:)]

Peu itself can be a bit tricky:  un peu means a little but peu de means few.

Now have I got that one right?

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine