Driving in France

Topic has 28 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

80 Kilometres an hour

There was some mention a while back that certain regions/departments were going to change back to 90 Kilometres on single carriageway roads. Has anybody heard any new information about this situation?
NickP
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: 80 Kilometres an hour

Very strict rules to cover changing back. Manche (where we live)  do not have any roads 10 km long with no turnings off (have to have no overtaking at all so barrier...?) so we cannot do it at all.
All in our Manche Libre newspaper last Thursday. They called the rules "draconian".
The above is a rough explanation, the article took up half a page.

Report   Reply Quote

Just bitter civil servants who cannot handle the idea that 80kph was not only stupid but increased accident stats. So come up with a more ludicrous idea.
Passivpool Energy "A++" rated Swimming Pools, the lowest running costs in the Universe.
   Report   Reply Quote

There’s been talk of it, as in Departements can make their own decisions.

How on earth that would work is beyond me. Imagine moving from a 90kph dept to an 80kph one .........

It was a bonkers bit of legislation in the first place, but its done now - daft to go back again.

I really rather doubt that it’ll happen & the cameras are being repaired and re-installed - saw one today, but I suspect that its days are numbered. Paint sales are up in the local DIY shed, but the JCB bosh works best.

Report   Reply Quote

Didnt I hear that road deaths are up since the speed limit reduction?
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

We have too many 50mph areas in this region of the UK and it is a mind numbing  speed. No wonder there are accidents and more deaths, wouldn't surprise me.

Even worse is 70mph on a motorway...... how do people concentrate when on a long journey???? Too slow, just too slow.

And yet, there are some roads where I would have the limit down to 20 mph and enforced, because, as always, it depends on where.

Report   Reply Quote

What's there to criticise? So much safer to overtake round a blind bend at 80kph than at 90kph
   Report   Reply Quote

I shall never understand what recklessness is in anyone's psyche to do that.

Round the bend, literally and putting other's lives needlessly at risk.

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine